The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

In a jump turn, both feet remain in front of the rubber. In this move by Cain, the pivot foot disengaged by stepping behind the rubber.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 09:30am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpumpire View Post
In a jump turn, both feet remain in front of the rubber. In this move by Cain, the pivot foot disengaged by stepping behind the rubber.

That's what I'm seeing as well. What am I missing here?
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
You must be watching video of a different play, because if you pause it at the 2 second mark, his pivot foot is clearly on the ground behind the rubber and the ball is still in his hand. Have your own opinion if you want, but don't blatantly make up things about the video that just aren't there simply to advance your point.
Well, one of us is. This happens so fast that a lot of action happens at 0:01 and at 0:02 (the "two-second mark" has about 12 spots you can pause it at). But as you watch the little dot move on the bottom, the 7th spot of the dot (still 0:01) shows the hand starting to remove from the glove and the foot still up. The 8th dot (now 0:02), you can see the ball in the hand, separate from glove - with the toe pointing downward, but not on the ground. On the ninth dot (still 0:02), the foot has now barely hit the ground and the ball is most obviously out of the glove.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 09:32am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
That's what I'm seeing as well. What am I missing here?
You're accepting an incorrect definition of jump turn. It's defined more by what it isn't than what it is, and it isn't a legal disengagement.

Nothing requires that a jump turn have both feet in front of the rubber, or indeed both in the air at once. All that's required is a legal step and (if to 1B) then a throw.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
If Cain hadn't thrown to first, would you have balked him? I would. Why?

His 'disengagement' and throw to first were in one continuous motion. This makes it a 'jump turn'. There was no distinct stop and drop of the hands, which to me would be a complete disengagement of the rubber. At this point, if he stopped, disengaged and then overthrew first, would be a 2 base award.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 09:47am
Stirrer of the Pot

Okay, then somebody please explain how a RHP executes a "jump turn". I always believed both feet had to come up simultaneously--in other words, the pitcher "jumps", which is why the move has that word in it.

Heck, to me, this looks more like a jab-step, but he "jabs" his foot behind the rubber instead of in front of it. And since the jab is behind the rubber, it constitutes a disengagement.

And, No, I don't have Jim Evans's balk video.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 10:49am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Okay, then somebody please explain how a RHP executes a "jump turn". I always believed both feet had to come up simultaneously--in other words, the pitcher "jumps", which is why the move has that word in it.

Heck, to me, this looks more like a jab-step, but he "jabs" his foot behind the rubber instead of in front of it. And since the jab is behind the rubber, it constitutes a disengagement.

Pitchers use a lot of different moves. Again: these moves are defined by what they are not. If F1 does not legally disengage, then whatever the move is must conform to the rules governing throwing/feinting to a base.

The reason the move in the video is not legal disengagement is that disengagement requires that the step be complete PRIOR to separating the hands or making any other move/step toward a base.

So Cain had to conform to the throw/feint rules, which he did (no balk). And that's why the award for the overthrow was correct.

Q.E.D.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post

I think a lot of people mess this up by trying to give the move a name. "Jab step", "Jump Turn". Better to look at the rules and determine if he broke one. Since he did not legally disengage, he must throw. He did. No balk. If the pitcher did exactly what we see on this video but did not throw to first, you'd have a balk.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Well, one of us is. This happens so fast that a lot of action happens at 0:01 and at 0:02 (the "two-second mark" has about 12 spots you can pause it at). But as you watch the little dot move on the bottom, the 7th spot of the dot (still 0:01) shows the hand starting to remove from the glove and the foot still up. The 8th dot (now 0:02), you can see the ball in the hand, separate from glove - with the toe pointing downward, but not on the ground. On the ninth dot (still 0:02), the foot has now barely hit the ground and the ball is most obviously out of the glove.
You claimed that the ball was out of his hand before the pivot foot hit the ground. This screen shot says differently:

His foot is clearly on the ground behind the rubber and the ball is still in his hand.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
If Cain hadn't thrown to first, would you have balked him? I would. Why?

His 'disengagement' and throw to first were in one continuous motion. This makes it a 'jump turn'. There was no distinct stop and drop of the hands, which to me would be a complete disengagement of the rubber. At this point, if he stopped, disengaged and then overthrew first, would be a 2 base award.
Where does the rule say you have to stop and drop your hands to legally disengage? His first move was to move his pivot foot behind the rubber, thus disengaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Pitchers use a lot of different moves. Again: these moves are defined by what they are not. If F1 does not legally disengage, then whatever the move is must conform to the rules governing throwing/feinting to a base.

The reason the move in the video is not legal disengagement is that disengagement requires that the step be complete PRIOR to separating the hands or making any other move/step toward a base.

So Cain had to conform to the throw/feint rules, which he did (no balk). And that's why the award for the overthrow was correct.

Q.E.D.
I still would not balk a pitcher in this situation if he doesn't throw. It would be a very nitpicky balk, and a balk that very few umpires at higher levels would call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I think a lot of people mess this up by trying to give the move a name. "Jab step", "Jump Turn". Better to look at the rules and determine if he broke one. Since he did not legally disengage, he must throw. He did. No balk. If the pitcher did exactly what we see on this video but did not throw to first, you'd have a balk.
He did legally disengage, so it can't be a jump turn. It was closer to a jab step, but he still put his pivot foot behind the rubber to disengage.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
His foot is clearly on the ground behind the rubber and the ball is still in his hand.
OK, fair enough, I understand the confusion now. I've fixed my original post. My explanation seems to clarify what I meant, but I see your disagreement now.

The ball was out of the GLOVE hand before he stepped back - not a legal disengagement - the foot movement was not part of a disengagement, therefore he's not disengaged.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
So what we are seeing here is a '12 eyed miss'? 6 professional umpires miss the same call? Highly doubtful.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He did legally disengage, so it can't be a jump turn. It was closer to a jab step, but he still put his pivot foot behind the rubber to disengage.
This illustrates why you don't understand that. A) this cannot be a legal disengagement - he has to step off BEFORE beginning to throw for a legal disengagement. B) Define Jump Turn and Jab Step ... using only the rulebook to do so. Good luck. Do you see a rule that states where the pivot foot must go to be a jab step? (PS - how could you call this a legal disengagement AND a jab step - it cannot be both... you have to throw after a jab step because you are NOT disengaged.)

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 01:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

This is not a "disengage first" move. After watching the video I can't believe anyone is still arguing that this was some kind of missed call.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 01:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Well after he started his move to first. It's not like the foot came back first (making him a fielder) and *then* he threw over to first base.
Closed Thread