The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 03, 2010, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Does not touch first base

Two Outs. Runners on 2nd and 3rd. Or bases are loaded. Batter hits a ball into the gap. Batter misses 1st base and ends up on 2nd base. All runners score. Before the 1st pitch to the next batter, the pitcher appeals the play at 1st base. Umpire calls the batter out for missing the base. Third out. Can any runs score?
Old Sat Jul 03, 2010, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Two Outs. Runners on 2nd and 3rd. Or bases are loaded. Batter hits a ball into the gap. Batter misses 1st base and ends up on 2nd base. All runners score. Before the 1st pitch to the next batter, the pitcher appeals the play at 1st base. Umpire calls the batter out for missing the base. Third out. Can any runs score?

4.09 HOW A TEAM SCORES.
(a) One run shall be scored each time a runner legally advances to and touches first, second, third and home base before three men are put out to end the inning. EXCEPTION: A run is not scored if the runner advances to home base during a play in which the third out is made (1) by the batter-runner before he touches first base; (2) by any runner being forced out; or (3) by a preceding runner who is declared out because he failed to touch one of the bases.

Same in all codes
Old Sat Jul 03, 2010, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

No they cannot as the third out was made before the batter touched first base.
Old Sun Jul 04, 2010, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

The answer is right in the rule book.

4.09(a)

APPROVED RULING: Two out, bases full, batter hits home run over fence. Batter, on appeal, is declared out for missing first base. Three outs. No run counts.
Old Mon Jul 05, 2010, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
The answer is right in the rule book.

4.09(a)

APPROVED RULING: Two out, bases full, batter hits home run over fence. Batter, on appeal, is declared out for missing first base. Three outs. No run counts.
Same situation this time with the batter missing second base and out on appeal. How many runs score?
Old Mon Jul 05, 2010, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven K View Post
Same situation this time with the batter missing second base and out on appeal. How many runs score?
Sven.....I and most on this forum could easily tell you but I listed the rule from the book in post #2. See if you can figure it out. Learn on your own and it will be much clearer for you.
Old Mon Jul 05, 2010, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven K View Post
Three. None of the exceptions were met.
Old Mon Jul 05, 2010, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

or have Rich tell you.
Old Mon Jul 05, 2010, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

What is the proper procedure on appeal. Since the ball cleared the fence, we have a dead ball. How would the defense appeal the batter-runner missing first base? We had this occur in a Babe Ruth League tournament game, and the defense verbally appealed, just as a team would in a NFHS game. The umpires did not acknowledge the appeal. When the umpire put the ball back in play, the defense made a proper appeal, and the batter-runner was called out. What if the home run was a "walk off" homer. Would the defense have to request the umpire to give them a ball to make an appeal?
Old Mon Jul 05, 2010, 06:43pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodibuck View Post
What is the proper procedure on appeal. Since the ball cleared the fence, we have a dead ball. How would the defense appeal the batter-runner missing first base? We had this occur in a Babe Ruth League tournament game, and the defense verbally appealed, just as a team would in a NFHS game. The umpires did not acknowledge the appeal. When the umpire put the ball back in play, the defense made a proper appeal, and the batter-runner was called out. What if the home run was a "walk off" homer. Would the defense have to request the umpire to give them a ball to make an appeal?
Sounds good to me.
Old Mon Jul 05, 2010, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodibuck View Post
I believe the defense would need to remain on the field and let umpire know they intend to appeal. The ball would have to be made live. Umpires would stay on the field knowing that an appeal is possible since one of them knows who missed the base.

Home team manager would subsequently be tossed for vehemently objecting.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 05:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Three. None of the exceptions were met.
wouldn't only 2 runners score
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL.nation View Post
The OP mentions R2, R3 OR bases loaded. The appeal at 2B on the BR is a time play, and the time of the out is the time of the appeal. All of the preceding runners would have scored.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL.nation View Post
I posted an AR that had the bases loaded. Sven quoted it and asked what would happen if the BR missed 2B instead of 1B.

As the bases were loaded in that situation, the answer is three.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

I figured that the logic is that the out at first is akin to a force, whereas missing the other bases is the equivalent of a belated tag play.

I asked the question not because I didn't understand the rule as quoted but because I thought there might be other rules with which I was not familiar.

OK. Bases loaded. Guy on first out on appeal for not touching second. There is some logic to the idea that he has been "forced" (my terminology of course) at second but it doesn't meet the exception requirement(s). I suppose two runs score, even if the BR circles the bases on the play.