The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Men's ASA SP Rec League. R1 on 1B. B2 hits long fly to deep left center field. R1 rounds 2B, then the fly ball is caught by F8. R1 returns directly back to 1B without re-touching 2B, and R1 makes it back to 1B before defense can get the ball there. Is R1 automatically out for failing to re-touch 2B, or does the defense need to appeal this missed base for R1 to be called out?
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluefoot
Men's ASA SP Rec League. R1 on 1B. B2 hits long fly to deep left center field. R1 rounds 2B, then the fly ball is caught by F8. R1 returns directly back to 1B without re-touching 2B, and R1 makes it back to 1B before defense can get the ball there. Is R1 automatically out for failing to re-touch 2B, or does the defense need to appeal this missed base for R1 to be called out?
This is an appeal play.
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, Don't have my book with me at work, however if he would had gone to 3rd then wanted to retreat all the way back to first..they are no longer allowed to do that due to rule change this past year ???. yes/no ?
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

if he would had gone to 3rd then wanted to retreat all the way back to first..they are no longer allowed to do that due to rule change this past year ???. yes/no ?

The runner can retreat no matter how far he has progressed unless the ball goes into DBT.

If the ball is thrown (unintentionally) into DBT, the runner can still return, no matter how far he has advanced, unless, after the umpire makes the award, he proceeds to the next base from where he was when the umpire made the award.

Incidentally, OBR does differentiate between a simple miss of a base and a gross miss such as described in the original post. It still requires an appeal, though.

[Edited by greymule on May 27th, 2004 at 03:21 PM]
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Greymule, Thanks..I knew I had something in the back of my mind that disallowed a retreat. Good catch.
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

How would you rule on this scenario

ASA SP

R1 on 1st. BR hits a single. R1 rounds second on his way to third but fails to touch the base. Outfield attempts to throw the runner out at 3rd but the ball goes into DBT.

Now when do we announce the award?

Do we give the runner time to go back to touch 2nd?

I believe the rule book says (don't have it with me, this is from memory) that the runner must be given an opportunity to complete his base running responsibilities.

Is part of his responsibilites going back to touch 2nd?

If I award the 2 bases can he go back to touch 2nd, then go to third and then home?

If I award the two bases and he does not go back to 2nd as soon as he touches third he can not retreat to 2nd, is that correct?

If he does not retreat to touch 2nd, then the defense must appeal the out, correct?

Thanks!
Randall

Old Thu May 27, 2004, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Now
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes, assuming he had not already touched 3rd when the ball went into DBT and you made the award.
Yes.