The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

First R1 Assignment

First R1 assignment of my season-up on a JV match which is part of a varsity doubleheader (I'll be down on Varsity). Working our association president's school.Haven't worked up since camp-any advice? Get to go up 5 times this month (4 of those on my own for middle school matches).

Draft Coaches/Captains Conference-

Hi Ladies-my name is Derryl and this is my partner _______.We'll be your officials for today's match.Coaches,are/will your players be properly & legally equipped for this match according to the NFHS rulebook?
A couple of reminders (this does include warmups)-
*No jewelry-get the piercings out wherever they might be
*Tape & Sweatbands are fine on the wrists
*Berets & Bobby Bins are fine-flat,worn flat against the head,no longer than 2 inches and plain.
*Anybody participating in warmups must wear closed toe shoes.

Play until you hear the whistle

Away team who is my speaking captain? Good-please call the toss in the air.Home captain repeat their call.

Remind coaches of rosters due at 10 and lineups at 2.

Ask about the line judges

Start timed warmups
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Sounds good....a couple of suggestions

I usually point out the court boundaries. Some gyms have so many lines for various activities, I want to make sure everyone is on the same page as to where the VB court lines are. I also define the playable area for the particular gym where the match is being held.

As far as jewelry goes, I never tell anybody to take their jewelry off. I tell them that they may not participate while wearing jewelry. That puts the choice on the player...if you want to wear the jewelry, you don't play, if you want to play, you don't wear the jewelry....your choice.

Also...make sure you identify the home team speaking captain as well.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

The only thing I'd ad is what we do:
+ go over playing area (or unplayable areas such as bleachers, benches etc) any ceiling obstructions that are legal or illegal. (play to the whistle as you say)
+ we go over substitution area and procedure (mulit subs)
+ and R1 refreshes signals with line judges.

I'm gettin too old to remember all that stuff so I have it all written down so i don't forget.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

so something like-white line all the way around works? In this particular gym the bleachers are only two or three steps off the R1 platform-should I say any ball heading in the direction of the crowd with no chance for a player to play it will be blown dead? Basketball hoops are secured to the wall & not out so no issues with obstruction.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

gair-z,
welcome to the board! you guys go over substitution in the coaches/captains meeting? Is it a big issue where you work?
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
so something like-white line all the way around works? In this particular gym the bleachers are only two or three steps off the R1 platform-should I say any ball heading in the direction of the crowd with no chance for a player to play it will be blown dead? Basketball hoops are secured to the wall & not out so no issues with obstruction.
Yes, if they're white.
I'd blow it dead if it was sailing into stands, yes. It's headin into an unplayable area. I think it's in the book somewhere (I'll have to start bringing my book to work ) I believe it's a safety deal too.
Sometimes we have bball hoops down so they are in playing area. If player is hustling to get the ball and ball hits backboard, replay. But this is only in the playing area. if hoops are down over the unplayable area then ball is out.

and yes we go over substitutions and area. sometimes I'll even rattle off the libero procedure. We call it preventive officiating. I think that's in the case book. We don't want to have to do all the work. Something simple like: players enter this zone ahead of attack line, give R2 your number and the number you are subbing in for; If multi, the 2nd set of subs stay behind the attack line until I call you in. I work in PA.

Last edited by gair-z; Tue Oct 08, 2013 at 11:50am. Reason: my grammar sucked. sue me.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

ok I get what you guys are trying to do.this is the highest level match I'll get to work as an R1 or R2 all year.I call lines for one of our schools who requests officials as line judges.I love October because every week I'm working multiple matches.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper

Last edited by SCalScoreKeeper; Tue Oct 08, 2013 at 12:36pm.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ok I get what you guys are trying to do.this is the highest level match I'll get to work as an R1 or R2 all year.I call lines for one of our schools who requests officials as line judges.I love October because every week I'm working multiple matches.
We have players do the lines for us. If V playing, JV players do them, and vice versa.

My very first time I reffed I did R1 both matches! thank God nothing major happened!
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Here is my pre - game:

My name is Andy, this is my partner _____.

The VB court is the (color) line all the way around and (color) through the middle.

Playable area in this gym is ____ on the ends and _____ to the sides.

Cover any overhead obstructions..tell the players to play to the whistle.

Coaches...are your players legally and properly equipped? Players may not participate with any type of jewelry on, any body piercings that I can't see, I don't want to know about. (that usually gets a bit of a chuckle).

Players on the floor, it is your responsibility to shag the balls after the play is over (unless using shaggers and a ball rotation).

Who are my speaking captains on both sides?

Administer the coin toss.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
If we are talking high school;

Ladies, I am Mr S, and this is Mr/Ms H - I feel, especially with the younger levels , it helps maintain a certain professional distance.

In New York we are required (in all sports) to read/discuss the state Sportsmanship and Jewelry rules - we actually get cards with them. If we see a player during warmups with tape on the ears, we actually have to have to coach come over, and we ask the player to remove the tape.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Here in our section of New York, in order to save on bus trips, they decided to have the middle school level - called 'modified' here - teams play, instead of home/home. a double match of 3 sets once (for a very nice fee also, - $120! ) in two of the three counties we cover. The other county had been doing either 5 set or double matches for a long time. The first season they started that, I got around 10 matches that way. This year, our association is so short of modified officials, I am in the middle of a 17 match season!

And - even though I am a modified official, I get called to do at least one or two JV only or JV/Varsity.

I will end up doing in a month and change of volleyball almost what I got for two and half months of high school softball!
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Well that was interesting

Well jv match that went 3.had a girl touch a ball that was going to be out touch it.we both missed it-got the line judges together and got the call right.

during varsity-had an injury timeout,roster issue (V coach forgot to designate the libero on his roster),and an wrong server.

unit president's daughter played for home school and thought as a crew we did a good job.
Old Wed Oct 09, 2013, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well jv match that went 3.had a girl touch a ball that was going to be out touch it.we both missed it-got the line judges together and got the call right.

during varsity-had an injury timeout,roster issue (V coach forgot to designate the libero on his roster),and an wrong server.

unit president's daughter played for home school and thought as a crew we did a good job.
Good job!
Old Wed Oct 09, 2013, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

thanks-got a couple of good things to work on
*From the varsity match-
*I have a bit of tunnel vision as an R2
*Review the Southern California timeout protocols

*From JV-
*My partner thought I let the setters get away with murder
*Do a better job of tracking back row play.
Old Wed Oct 09, 2013, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

My meetings are pretty short. I particularly don't point out the lines unless there is a congested or problem area. On point out any potential interference like basketball goals and out of play areas. No one wants to be there and all they hear is: bla bla bla bla serve bla bla recieve bla bla bla.