The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Late Libero Replacement

I have a question regarding a late libero replacement with respect to NFHS rules.

In a JV match last night, the JV coach was sending the libero in while her team was serving. The coach was very late in her decision to make the replacement. The ref was blowing the whistle for serve as the player was entering the court. The player being replaced ran off the court, and in my opinion was off prior to the ball being served. The ref had a moment of hesitation and didn't look quite sure what to call. He blew his whistle and signaled out of rotation as the ball was being contacted for serve.

I am more familiar with NCAA and USAV rules than NFHS. So in NFHS, what would the correct response/call in this situation? Also, what would the correct call/procedure be if the libero ran onto the court after the ref beckon for serve?
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 09:19pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I actually know the answer for this in NCAA rules, but I don't work NFHS, so I can't help. Darn it.
Old Sat Oct 16, 2010, 04:06am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
scrub, if the replacement occurred after the beckon for serve but before contact, an illegal alignment is the proper call.
Quote:
Rule 10-4 Penalty 1, page 41 of the current NFHS Rules Book:
PENALTIES:
1. Unnecessary delay is charged to the offending team when an illegal libero replacement takes place prior to the whistle/signal for serve. If identified after whistle/signal for serve, illegal alignment results (loss of rally/point). In all cases, the illegal libero must enter legally or be replaced by a legal player
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)