The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

newbie sub procedure

Haven't had a match yet but coming soon. Can you give me the sub mechanics?
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

For NFHS (which may be identical to USAV and NCAA?)...

When a proper substitution request is made (verbal and signal from HC, or by a sub entering the sub zone; resist the temptation to recognize a request from an assistant coach, a sub jumping up off the bench, player on the floor who believes she should be subbed out...recognizing these "improper" requests can come back to bite you if the coach doesn't want to sub at that moment)...

R2 whistles (usually a tweet tweet, to be distinctive from any whistle during play), gives the sub signal (kind of like bball's traveling, but with open hands) toward the side of the team that's subbing.

R1 mirrors the signal, but not the whistle.

R2 records the subs on the lineup card and reports them to the scorekeeper. Once the scorekeeper has them recorded, the R2 will give the sub the "enter" signal. Subs are not allowed to enter until you authorize it. If they do, call them back and make them do it right. You shouldn't need to do this more than once; they'll get the hint.

Some advice I was given is that as R2 position yourself on the opposite side of the scorekeeper from the subs, very near the table. Then report them as you record them. This speeds the process and allows you to keep them in your field of vision while easily getting confirmation from the scorekeeper that she has them recorded. Seems to work pretty well.

If a team has more than one sub, they must report together. The advice I've been given here, is that though they must report together, you only allow one at a time into the sub zone to reduce confusion. As each sub is completed, you allow the next one into the sub zone. But that may be a local adaptation.

I believe technically if both teams sub, you should have a second tweet tweet and sub signal for the second team, after you've "processed" the first team.

Once everybody is recorded and in the game, you turn the court back to the R1.

Work to make the whole process as quick and efficient as possible to minimize the disruption to the game.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
1 slight edit...

If you're going to use a card/wheel to record subs, DO NOT keep the subs in the sub zone while you're writing. Once you know what the sub is...*get the players moving!*

There is no reason to keep the players there waiting just because you're writing. They should be moving into position ready to play, ready once you're done writing.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
There is no reason to keep the players there waiting just because you're writing. They should be moving into position ready to play, ready once you're done writing.
That's how I do it: "9 for 1, go!" Then repeat to the table: "White, 9 for 1."
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Some advice I was given is that as R2 position yourself on the opposite side of the scorekeeper from the subs, very near the table. Then report them as you record them. This speeds the process and allows you to keep them in your field of vision while easily getting confirmation from the scorekeeper that she has them recorded. Seems to work pretty well.
When I started - a senior official told me to stand on the attack line facing the net. This position forces the subs into the proper substitution zone - sort of preventive officiating. Also makes it easier to keep track of subs reporting together. In addition, you are facing the table. I think this is the same position as quoted above - just clarifying.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 09:02am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
When I started - a senior official told me to stand on the attack line facing the net. This position forces the subs into the proper substitution zone - sort of preventive officiating. Also makes it easier to keep track of subs reporting together. In addition, you are facing the table. I think this is the same position as quoted above - just clarifying.
I like this. Thanks for the tip.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I'm remembering correctly, this used to be the required procedure for NFHS (and others?). It was changed a few years back, because some officials were lazy about getting to the attack line and the sub procedure was taking longer than it should have. If you choose to use this technique as R2, just make sure that you are hustling to the attack line and keeping the sub procedure moving.

This thread also reminds me of a really anal (my opinion only) official in my area. He refuses to say the word "for" when reporting subs. His reasoning is that a scorekeeper could get confused and think he is saying the number "four" and make a mistake. He will say " 9 replaces 16" or "sub 9, pause, 16". A bit over the top in my opinion, but if it works for him......
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think this is the same position as quoted above - just clarifying.
No, quite a different position, actually. I'm not arguing with your mechanics on this, just clarifying that what I described is very different from what you describe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
This thread also reminds me of a really anal (my opinion only) official in my area. He refuses to say the word "for" when reporting subs. His reasoning is that a scorekeeper could get confused and think he is saying the number "four" and make a mistake. He will say " 9 replaces 16" or "sub 9, pause, 16". A bit over the top in my opinion, but if it works for him......
Not a problem here in Utah. We Utards say "for" when we mean the number 4, and "fer" when normal people would say "for". Very easy to differentiate
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
1 slight edit...

If you're going to use a card/wheel to record subs, DO NOT keep the subs in the sub zone while you're writing. Once you know what the sub is...*get the players moving!*

I will make this change to how I handle subs. Thanks!
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
For what it's worth, both of his techniques are ones that I've heard USAV National Rating Team members recommend that R2's do.

I do the one with the pause. Never had a problem with it. If I say "for ten," I used to have people think I was saying "fourteen." No such problems since I switched.

As always, your mileage may vary.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

In my match today I thought about the 'for' thing every time I gave a sub to the scorekeeper. Thankfully I had a teacher as a scorekeeper and not a student. I also had the team with 6 players on one side. Very easy to do my scan of the benches for changes and TO's when I really only have to look to one side.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 08:00am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
In my match today I thought about the 'for' thing every time I gave a sub to the scorekeeper.
Me, too. I went with "replaces". I liked it.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2008, 03:59pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Quote:
chartreusepenguin, please do not use this procedure. It was changed several years ago so that the R2 remains back away from the court so the he/she can see if the other team also wants a sub.

Two years ago when I was going for my Junior National Referee rating, a junior scorekeeper at JO's in Atlanta gave me the technique of not using the work "for" since it sounds the same as "four". Since that time, I say "On the right, 14 in, 9 out."; "On the left, 3 in, 21 out." Scorekeepers seem to appreciate the clarity.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Sun Oct 05, 2008, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

I've also started using "replaces" instead of "for" since this discussion. But the larger problem, I find, is making sure I have the scorekeeper's attention. Inevitably the friend I asked to leave the score table 2 minutes ago comes back during play. If for this reason alone, it's MUCH more useful to be back at the table rather than out on the sideline.

As for the friend, it's a shame there are always so many witnesses.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Retrozetti
a Libero "replaces" and a subsitution "subs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I've also started using "replaces" instead of "for" since this discussion.
As a note of caution... "replaces" might not be the best choice of words simply because you're now talking (technically) about a Libero action. As you already know, a substitution "subs" and a Libero "replaces." As an R2, I fly those subs in and out to maintain the momentum of the match, and then I'll turn back to my SK and give them the numbers (this is all talked about in my pre-match with the SK). I would be slightly concerned that my score keeper might not record the sub if they hear me say "replace," especially if the SK has several things going on i.e. LOR & multiple subs on both sides.

I've been using "for" as well, I'll try the pause... but Felix, what other suggestions do you have? Did you say there are 2 recommended options? I might as well get used to a good habit right away. By the way, congrats on getting your National ranking.
Not just a sponge for the rules, but for the philosophies behind the rules.