The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

only 3 HS players per club team

I have two situations that I need to resolve. Help me see if I'm understanding the situation correctly.

There is a AHSAA (Alabama) rule that only three (3) volleyball players from a particular high school can play on the same team during club season.

Situation 1:
Another club in town, XYZ, has a 14U player that will attend GHS next year that cannot play on any of the XYZ teams because each already has 3 potential GHS players. I've been asked if I have room for her on one of my club's teams.

Situation 2:
There are currently four (4) players on my 142 team that will be attending GHS next year. I think that is a violation only if all 4 of them want to tryout for one of GHS's volleyball teams.

I'm asking each of the 4 players to send me an email ASAP stating either:
- Yes, I want to tryout for GHS volleyball next Fall.
or
- No, I will NOT tryout for GHS volleyball next Fall. [Which is most likely the answer they will pick since these girls enjoy playing only city rec volleyball.]

If more than 3 players say "Yes", then I have a problem and somebody either has to change their answer or one person can't compete with the team at the tournaments.

If less than 3 players say "Yes", then the extra player from XYZ can join my club.

If exactly 3 players say "Yes", then my club has no room for the extra player from XYZ.

Am I thinking about this the right way?

[My other 2 teams already have 3 potential GHS players.]

--
Doug
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Doug - I'm making an assumption here.....

Why would the AHSAA, which I'm assuming is the governing body for High School sports in Alabama, have any jurisdiction over composition of a club team?

My other assumption is that the club team and play is in no way affiliated with the High School program.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

The don't have authority over club vball, but do have authority over who is eligible to play HS vball next Fall.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
For what it's worth (which isn't much), in Illinois, it's students at a particular school, not necessarily players.

Your second scenario would be illegal, but (I believe) only if the school's head coach was the coach of the club team. Go figure.

In any case, questions about eligibility are covered by state association rules, not NFHS rules, and should be directed there.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee

Last edited by FMadera; Fri Dec 21, 2007 at 10:51am.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 04:57pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Doug, the best thing to do is as Felix suggests - contact the AHSAA to get the specifics covering your situation. Since they govern HS volleyball in your state, you have to go by what they say. Good luck.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)