The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Libero serves in multiple rotation spots

Had a match early last week (which I ranted a bit about), where I caught the libero serving in two spots in the rotation. I think I handled that correctly.

However, is this an "illegal replacement" and, if caught before the call for service would it be proper to call IR and assess a UD. Or is it proper to wait for the serve, and call it an Improper Server?
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 03:21pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
However, is this an "illegal replacement" and, if caught before the call for service would it be proper to call IR and assess a UD. Or is it proper to wait for the serve, and call it an Improper Server?
Just call the loss of rally and have the R1 slap the coach.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Just call the loss of rally and have the R1 slap the coach.
She might just like it!
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 03:37am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BITS
Had a match early last week (which I ranted a bit about), where I caught the libero serving in two spots in the rotation. I think I handled that correctly.

BITS, no, it is not an "illegal replacement." Read your casebook situations that came out earlier this year. If the libero has legally entered the game (sat out one rally prior to entering, and is in a back-row position), then nothing is illegal until she contacts the ball and serves illegally in the second position during that game. Then, the penalty is Illegal Serve and LOR (Rule 8-2-5d).
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

That new rule's got some kink that needs to be worked out....

Just like getting somebody for illegal alignment or server taking too long for serve contact when there's a rush for service authorization because things are running behind schedule...
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

while I have to admit, I would have called an illegal alignment, that would have been incorrect, but I think the rule is good as it is. They have gone to giving you a complete definition, which allows for a more consistent ruling. You wait until an action is completed to make it illegal, which lets them possibly correct it, but does remove all doubt in the error.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

BITS,

If you receive the Officials' Quarterly, the Fall 2007 issue has two case situations, 7 and 15, which are very helpful. These may or may not be the cases that Jan referenced previously.

I'd like to share some advice that Felix gave earlier this year which I found extremely helpful. Before every match in which I am the U, I inform the SK and LT that I will verbalize that I have a libero serving on left/right. The first time it is a reminder to them that they need to triangle the serving position. Each time after that it is a reminder to check for proper order. I tell them that if it is an illegal replacement to let me know immediately so that I can charge the team with UD rather than Improper Server. If the replacement is legal they can inform me as they would as they would with any improper server.

I never had any problems with the libero serving this year, but every SK and LT that I worked with was very appreciative of the instructions. Thanks Felix!