The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   Libero Replacement During Timeout (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/37957-libero-replacement-during-timeout.html)

blueump Fri Aug 31, 2007 09:21pm

Libero Replacement During Timeout

Ran into our first snag of the year with the Libero serving. For Team A - #20 was on the court when Team B called a time-out. At the end of the timeout #20 was now on the bench with #24 now playing in the front row and the Libero serving. The two regular players should have made an exchange in the Libero zone, but the time-out prevented this from happening. I followed without a problem, however, there was no player exchange in the Libero zone before or after the time-out...the new player just came on and took her position after the time-out.

What should be the correct process for this exchange? Should they make the exchange before leaving the court for a time-out? Should they make the exchange after the time-out? Or should they simply inform the umpire that they will be changing during the time-out? What's the correct procedure here?

How have you college guys handled this?

Scrapper1 Sat Sep 01, 2007 09:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueump
Ran into our first snag of the year with the Libero serving. For Team A - #20 was on the court when Team B called a time-out. At the end of the timeout #20 was now on the bench with #24 now playing in the front row and the Libero serving.

It sounds like you have a substitution (#24 for #20 in the front row) and a libero replacement (in the server's position).

If so, the normal replacement procedure should've taken place after the completion of the time-out, I believe. (NCAA 11.2.3.2.6: "All substitution requests made immediately before, during or immediately after a timeout are administered at the end of the timeout".)

The libero replacement may only occur at the end of a rally or at the start of a game (12.2.2.1), and may never occur during a timeout (12.2.2.2).

TimTaylor Sun Sep 02, 2007 01:10am

Ah yes, the famous phantom replacement. Correct procedure is to do this after the time out.

FMadera Sun Sep 02, 2007 06:07pm

The replacements are to take place at the end of the timeout. Technically, this would be an incorrect replacement, and subject to unnecessary delay, though preventive officiating would easily take care of it.

MCBear Sun Sep 02, 2007 07:43pm

Blueump, the correct procedure is that the exchange takes place following the time-out. The six players who were on the court when the time-out was called return to the court. Then, the libero goes directly to right back, the left front #24 replaces the libero (entering between the attack line and end line) while the right front #20 leaves the court between the attack line and the end line going to the bench.

As Felix pointed out, when the replacements took place during the time-out, the team committed an illegal libero replacement. An Unnecessary Delay Time-out is assessed, the libero must leave the game and the player whom the libero replaced (#20) will come back into the game and have to serve. After one rally, the libero can replace anyone in the back row, including the server.

Scrapper, when the libero is involved, you NEVER have a substitution. It is always a replacement.

Scrapper1 Mon Sep 03, 2007 08:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
the normal replacement procedure should've taken place after the completion of the time-out, I believe. (NCAA 11.2.3.2.6: "All substitution requests made immediately before, during or immediately after a timeout are administered at the end of the timeout".)

The libero replacement may only occur at the end of a rally or at the start of a game (12.2.2.1), and may never occur during a timeout (12.2.2.2).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felix
The replacements are to take place at the end of the timeout.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan
The replacements are to take place at the end of the timeout.

Woo-hoo!! I was right! In two different threads!! :D

blueump Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMadera
...though preventive officiating would easily take care of it.

Just curious how? Nobody "controls" who runs back and forth between the libero replacement zone, except the assistant scorekeeper. Just wondering what you think we could have done to prevent this "hidden" exchange from happening during the time-out???

FMadera Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueump
Just curious how? Nobody "controls" who runs back and forth between the libero replacement zone, except the assistant scorekeeper. Just wondering what you think we could have done to prevent this "hidden" exchange from happening during the time-out???

Me (as umpire, to assistant scorekeeper, during timeout): "Is the libero on or off the court on your right?"

AS: "Off."

(Libero comes onto the court)

Me: "Coach, your replacement has to take place AFTER the timeout is over. Please put your regular player back on the court until the timeout is over."

(Players switch)

Now I whistle to officially end the timeout, and they may now replace legally.

MCBear Tue Sep 04, 2007 05:00pm

That's it, Felix! Way to go!