The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Libero Serving

Here's the situation: FED rules

When Libero serves they do not have to "sit out" when going back to serve. When she finally gets across the back row and makes the next exchange how long does she legally have to sit out?

A. One serve, no matter who wins the point - she can come in after one serve.
B. One 1/2 rotation - she can only return after the server from her team loses the serve.
C. One full rotation - she can only return after her team rotates again.

I know this is a basic question, but we had a big disagreement with a coach tonight. I would love to have the rule number too if possible.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 09:46pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
See Rule 10-4-1b

The libero replacement may occur only one time per dead ball. That means that after the libero has rotated from LB (or CB) to the RB position to serve and subsequently rotates across the back row, when the libero would rotate from LB into LF, the player whom she (or he) replaced must return to the court. The libero must remain out for one rally. At the conclusion of one rally or replay (NOT reserve, however), the libero may replace any of the three players in the back row. So, with the three options that you have given, the most correct answer is A.

Remember that the libero serving is experimental for this school year, so you should verify that what I said above is accurate in your particular state - give a call to Gina at MHSAA and she will give you the proper interpretation. Next year, the libero serving will be part of the rules and we will have the specifics within the body of the rules book.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Scenario:

Q: Team A's libero is replaced by number 2 (whom she replaced). A's coach then gets a red card. There has been no serve. Can A's libero now replace #10 (LB)?

A: Yes. The red card carries a penalty of a loss of rally; therefore, there has now been one rally between the libero's exit and subsequent re-entry. This replacement is legal.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump
Here's the situation: FED rules

When Libero serves they do not have to "sit out" when going back to serve. When she finally gets across the back row and makes the next exchange how long does she legally have to sit out?

A. One serve, no matter who wins the point - she can come in after one serve.
B. One 1/2 rotation - she can only return after the server from her team loses the serve.
C. One full rotation - she can only return after her team rotates again.

I know this is a basic question, but we had a big disagreement with a coach tonight. I would love to have the rule number too if possible.
Rule 10-4 covers your libero procedures.

As Jan indicated, A is most correct.

B is only correct if the libero is to rotate into RB when she has already served in a different position. She would have to wait until the server has finished her term of serve, as the libero cannot rotate into RB when her team is serving unless she can be a legal server.

C is never a requirement.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee

Last edited by FMadera; Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 07:50am.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

As an observation, I notice that the L usually waits until the server completes the term of service, then replaces. Theory behind is that now, you have the L in for defense all the time, and for six positions. Then, when L reaches LB and rotates, they move right into RB and serves.
It's that 1/2 rotation that leaves the back row "vunerable" to an aggressive attack, but with a good defensive server, that's not a big issue.