The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Libero serving

Went to an IHSA level 2 clinic yesterday. We are one of the test states that will allow the Libero to serve this year. At first it seemed like a major league headache, but as we watched the girls walking through rotations, I don't think that it will be as difficult as it first seemed ... but it's going to be interesting at first to say the least. Any of you have experience with it and any tips on proper movement, etc?
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 02:57pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Make sure ...

When the libero rotates back to right back to serve, that the proper player replaces her on the court. It could be a real mess if the incorrect player replaced the libero since the normal libero exchange does not take place, the libero simply goes to the right back position to begin serving.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Also remember...

If the libero was on the court, then goes to right back to serve, that is *two* replacements, and as such, needs to be properly recorded on the libero tracking sheet.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera
If the libero was on the court, then goes to right back to serve, that is *two* replacements, and as such, needs to be properly recorded on the libero tracking sheet.
Not working with the libero serving rule...Hmmm, how does that work? I thought you couldn't allow the libero to do two consecutive subs all in one shot, such that the libero has to sit out one play. Or is this just part of the libero serving exceptions?
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
The libero may rotate to right back without having been off for one rally if (and ONLY if) they are rotating to RB to serve the next rally. This would be two replacements at once, with the proper person replacing the libero where the libero was, and the libero replacing the next server in RB.

If the libero is not preparing to serve the next rally, then there still must be one rally between replacements.

Also, let's make sure we have our terminology correct. They are libero *replacements,* not subs. You get 18 subs per game, but unlimited replacements.

Last edited by FMadera; Mon Aug 21, 2006 at 06:57pm.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

So help me do the math here... I can see this so much better when I am actually at the court watching the girls rotate than I can sitting here looking at this computer screen ... the L can now potentially stay in how many consecutive rotations before having to be replaced? 4? 6? Either of the above?
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Conceivably, a libero could:

Replace into RB (1)
Rotate into CB (2)
Rotate into LB (3)
Be replaced/replace into RB to serve (4)
Rotate into CB (5)
Rotate into LB (6)

before rotating into LF and having to come out.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Had our first meeting tonight...Oregon is also one of the States experimenting with the libero serving.

Actually, I don't see it being much of a problem, except when the "phantom replacement" occurs - #4 in Felix's list above. If the libero tracker isn't really on top of things it could get messy in a hurry.

When I'm the U, I fully intend to thoroughly pregame it with the tracker & scorer to make sure they understand the changes in both procedures. For at least the first couple weeks, we'll also probably take a few extra seconds the first time or two it occurs in a match to make sure they got it.

Call me paranoid, but the first time the libero serves I'm also going to mark that position in the rotation on my lineup card with a triangle - just in case....a little prevention never hurts!
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

More power to you. I figure I've got enough to worry about watching for alignment. I'll let the tracker handle that.