The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Flat Game Balls

My partner and I checked everything before the game tonight.... except for the balls. 35 seconds left in final warm up and I pick up game balls. They were flatter than a pancake. Checked the pressure. 1 1/4 lbs in each. Told the timer to stop the clock while home coach goes and airs them up. Those little details...... Geez.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a 7th grade regional game last night and that ball was flat as well. What's up with that :-)

As far as details, my partner is the official for the first match and checks the line up in the scorers book from her card which she wrote down from the lineups the coaches turned in. This is something I generally don't do. Of course, she finds that the scorer wrote the lineup incorrectly in the book. I guess that is something I should check more closely.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 08:54pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Details, gentlemen, details!

Ref, prior to the match ALWAYS check the pressure in the game ball. I have had them be anywhere from 2-1/2 p.s.i. to 9 p.s.i. Also, you should have a handy ball pump in your reffing kit. That way you don't have to wait while someone else takes that ball to the PE office to put more air in it.

bigtoe, one of the requirements this year is that the umpire verify that the line-up is written correctly on the scoresheet. The bible for each team's line-up is the line-up sheet that each coach submitted. Currently, what the coach writes down on the line-up sheet is the gospel as far as each player's location on the court for the first serve goes. So you can either copy the lineup onto your umpire's line-up card from the line-up sheet submitted by each coach or use the line-up sheets to check the players' positions on the court at the start of each game.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

What I always do is to have the scorekeeper read me the lineup, then after writing it down I get the official and visiting scorekeepers to verify with me that we are all on the same page. I read them aloud and they double check. For instance, last night I had 22 written down in the 4 postion but for some reason I said 20 by mistake. They both caught it. This process works EVERY time.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=MCBear]Ref, prior to the match ALWAYS check the pressure in the game ball. I have had them be anywhere from 2-1/2 p.s.i. to 9 p.s.i. Also, you should have a handy ball pump in your reffing kit. That way you don't have to wait while someone else takes that ball to the PE office to put more air in it.

---------------------------------------
Even if I had a small ball pump with me, with 35 seconds left, I'm letting the coach run to the coaches room 55 feet away where there is an electric pump with an automatic gauge to air up two balls.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
My partner and I checked everything before the game tonight.... except for the balls. 35 seconds left in final warm up and I pick up game balls. They were flatter than a pancake. Checked the pressure. 1 1/4 lbs in each. Told the timer to stop the clock while home coach goes and airs them up. Those little details...... Geez.
Devil's advocate here...if they were "flatter than a pancake," why did you waste time checking the pressure? Seems to me you could have inflated at least one of them within that 35 seconds...
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Because.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

This thread brings up an interesting situation:

I "lost" two volleyballs during one match a while ago and we had to wait for the AD to get two new ones out of the bags and inflate them. The reason we lost the original balls was the nails in the ceiling of the old gym. Both times (game 1 and game 3) the ball was hit into the ceiling. As soon as the ball hit a nail (multiple nails were protruding from the ceiling) the ball popped and went flat.

The question I had was this: How would you call this if the team that hit the ball still could legally play the ball and the ball went flat, making it unhittable?

This was the case only once of these two hits. I called a replay, which only seemed fair. The first time the ball popped, we said, "that's a first, it'll never happen again!". We were wrong!
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

I would have also called this a replay.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 07:03pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Quote:
posted by blueump:
The question I had was this: How would you call this if the team that hit the ball still could legally play the ball and the ball went flat, making it unhittable?
If the ball went up on the first or second team hit and then went "POP" because of those wacky nails, it would be a replay as soon as another game ball is available. If it happerns on the third team contact, the ball is dead (DOHHHH!) and the rally is awarded to the opponent just as though the ball hit a normal ceiling following the third contact. Sounds like the receiving team needs to learn to pass without hitting that particular ceiling!!!!
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)