The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 09, 2002, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

How many balls are you allowed to use in a high school game?
Normally before a game our team checks in two QB balls and two kicking balls and everything is fine.
At a game two weeks ago, the White Hat told us we could only use two balls for the entire game, period.
Is there a rule for this?

Another question I have is, when are you allowed to switch balls?
Most games the refs want you to use the ball that was used to score the TD with on PAT`s. They will let you bring in an approved kicking ball on kickoffs, punts and FG attempts.
At some games they make you punt or try a FG with whatever ball was used on the previous play. These same officials allow a new ball to be brought in on every other play from scrimmage, just not on kicks.
What is the official rule?
Thanks
Old Wed Oct 09, 2002, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 7Rock
How many balls are you allowed to use in a high school game?
Normally before a game our team checks in two QB balls and two kicking balls and everything is fine.
At a game two weeks ago, the White Hat told us we could only use two balls for the entire game, period.
Is there a rule for this?

### There is no maximum, but I would also not let a team check in a dozen balls either. Your white hat is being too picky, not to mention wrong. There is also no such thing as a ball designated just for kicking. I would guess and be right 99% of the time that this ball is one that really should not be approved unless that team is going to use it during one their series. We tell them that is just what we'll do if this special ball comes in during the game.
Surpise, this ball is usually withdrawn from even being looked at.

Another question I have is, when are you allowed to switch balls?
### there are a lot of factors, like weather, muddy field, excessive water on the field, change of possession, ball goes OOB or incomplete pass way downfield.

Most games the refs want you to use the ball that was used to score the TD with on PAT`s. They will let you bring in an approved kicking ball on kickoffs, punts and FG attempts.
### A team is required to use their same ball for the TRY unless it became unplayable all of a sudden. Maybe the runner fell into a mud hole in the EZ.. Change it out then Also, if it was the defense who scored, then can bring in any approved ball.
No way should the officials allow a "special" ball to be brought in for punts or FG attempts unless of course the weather factor requires the ball to be changed out or one of those other factors I mentioned above occurred on the previous down. It better not be one of those special balls either. It must be one you approved.

A team can bring in any approved ball for a free kick.

At some games they make you punt or try a FG with whatever ball was used on the previous play.
###this is correct unless the ball had to be changed out for those factors again.[/b]
These same officials allow a new ball to be brought in on every other play from scrimmage, just not on kicks.
### again, if the factors dictate using another approved ball, then bring it in rather than to delay the RFP while retrieving the ball previously used from way downfield.
In NCAA games, we'll change the ball out everytime it becomes dead outside the numbers. But, only approved balls are brought in. You could do this in NF games if you have a good set of ball people, otherwise, game time will be wasted waiting for the ball to be spotted.[/b]

What is the official rule?
Thanks
### See rule 1-3-2 for some specifics. This however, does not cover the "factors" I mentioned, such as weather, ball OOB or way downfield after an incomplete pass.
This is common sense stuff within the spirt of the rule.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2002, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

"How many balls are you allowed to use in a high school game?"

The last time I read the rule book, it's one at a time.

I think that ref has a problem.

Bob