The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Tip Balls

Can a player on offence tip the ball up (from a rebound) in the direction of the basket and tip it again even if the ball does not hit anything?
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 02:05pm
MABO Member

YES - short and simple answer that was too short to post originally.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

What if the offence player is trying to tip the ball into the basket and the ball does not hit anything can he tip it again?
I have been trying to find this in the rules somewhere so I can print the rule out.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 02:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

What would be illegal with your example?

Any "try" does not have to hit anything if you rule the tip a "try."

Peace
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMc
What if the offence player is trying to tip the ball into the basket and the ball does not hit anything can he tip it again?
I have been trying to find this in the rules somewhere so I can print the rule out.
BobMc, think of it this way, view the tip as if the player is trying to grab a rebound. This is legal as SmokeEater stated previously. It is a try for goal.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

I am new at this I really don't understand JRutlege or truerookie's answer.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 02:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I am new at this I really don't understand JRutlege or truerookie's answer.
What would be wrong or illegal with what you just described? A tip is a try for goal (that is what a try is).

If you are having problem understanding our answer, then you need to read Rule 4 (Definitions) in detail. The terms we used are rulebook language and in order to understand what a "try" is or "rebounds," then you have to make yourself familiar with these terms.

Are you an official, player, coach or fan? This also would help in answering your question. This is an official's forum so we are going to assume that you are an official without further information.

Peace
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 07:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You won't find it, because there's no rule against it. If the player is tipping the ball towards the basket, I'll rule it a "try". Since it's a try, he can continue to jump back up and grab it or tip it again.

If he doesn't have control; again, it's legal because you can't commit a violation here without having control of the ball.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

If the second (third, or whatever) tip takes place with the ball above the cylinder, then that tip would be BI.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Not in FIBA!!!

(Sorry, I know how everyone loves FIBA ball here...couldn't help myself!)
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
If the second (third, or whatever) tip takes place with the ball above the cylinder, then that tip would be BI.
How 'bout IN?
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

BobMc,
Here are some clips from the NFHS (National Federation of High Schools) Rulesbook which should help you understand that there is nothing illegal about this player's actions.
4-12-1 . . . A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds. ...

4-12-6 ...Neither team control nor player control exists during a dead ball, throw-in, a jump ball or when the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.

4-15-1 . . . A dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control who bats (intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)) or pushes the ball to the floor once or several times.

4-15-4 NOTE 2: A player is not dribbling while slapping the ball during a jump, when a pass rebounds from his/her hand, when he/she fumbles, or when he/she bats a rebound or pass away from other players who are attempting to get it. The player is not in control under these conditions.

4-37-1 . . . Rebounding is an attempt by any player to secure possession of the ball following a try or tap for goal. In a rebounding situation there is no player or team control.

4-41-2 . . . A try for field goal is an attempt by a player to score two or three points by throwing the ball into a team's own basket. A player is trying for goal when the player has the ball and in the official's judgment is throwing or attempting to throw for goal. It is not essential that the ball leave the player's hand as a foul could prevent release of the ball.

4-41-5 . . . A tap for goal is the contacting of the ball with any part of a player's hand(s) in an attempt to direct the ball into his/her basket.

4-41-6 . . . A tap shall be considered the same as a try for field goal, except as in 5-2-5.

4-44 Traveling (running with the ball) is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball.

Ok, so now look at it this way, what do you think the player has done which is illegal? Did he dribble illegally? Nope, because the rule states that batting the ball during rebounding action is not a dribble (nor is he pushing it to the floor).
Did he travel? No, because if he is merely batting a rebound and trying to obtain control, then he is not HOLDING the ball which is a requirement of traveling. If he does control the ball enough to tap it in the opinion of the official, then this control ends when the ball leaves his hand and is in flight during the attempt to score a goal. Since a tap is treated the same as a try for goal and both team and player control end once the ball is in flight, the player cannot be charged with a traveling violation (player control ended).
So unless the player fouls an opponent while doing this, there is nothing wrong with his actions.

Lastly, this casebook ruling should help clarify this for you.
4.44 SITUATION B: A1 attempts a try after ending the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the rim or any other player. A1 runs and is able to catch the ball before it strikes the floor. Is this traveling? RULING: No. When A1 recovered his/her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There was no team control after the ball was released on a try.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can a player on offence tip the ball up (from a rebound) in the direction of the basket and tip it again even if the ball does not hit anything?
Not only can he tip it but he can shoot it, not hit anything, catch it, shoot it again, not hit anything, catch it, shoot it again, not hit anything, catch it, shoot it again, not hit anything, catch it, shoot it again, not hit anything, catch it, shoot it again, not hit anything, catch it, shoot it again,.......

...you get the idea. It's completely legal as long as you view it as a shot.

With tipping, there is no player control until the player holds or dribbles the ball (see NevadaRef's rule reference above.) So in theory, he could tip the ball all around the court and it would be legal.

Bottom line- what you describe is perfectly legal!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Sinve Bob Mc is spelling "offense" as "offence", wouldn't that mean FIBA rules apply?

No offense intended.