The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Ever had to replace a scorekeeper

Had a goofy situation this week. New partner for me and she is very good! First match, I'm on stand and she is U. She keeps having to stop the game to confer with the table. Turns out that the man keeping the book is also trying to run the scoreboard/clock and keeps messing up. He can't handle both. She calls me over after first game and tells me she's having problems. He's trying to do both and isn't doing either well. We look for school rep but he's not there. Meanwhile, they bring in a lady for second game to do the scoreboard but he's still trying to do both. He gets mouthy with my partner and she warns him. After second game I tell her if she has any trouble at all to call me over and I'll take care of it. Third game is a total blow out and there are almost no substitutions, etc\ to record so it seemed to go well. Between matches we talk again. She told me I'd probably have trouble with him. He barely said one word to me in either of the next two games. Turns out that he just must have been one of those macho kind of guys who had that "I'm not taking anything off a woman" look on his face. When I was down he was very quiet.
I've had to tell table personnel to be quiet in basketball, but never in VB. It was almost necassary to replace him. I know the book give is the authority to do so. Have you ever had to replace someone at the table? How did you go about it?
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Had one during the HS season. JV player doing the book & trying to talk on a cell phone at the same time. Told her once to put the phone away - several minutes later saw her playing with it again - went to AD & told him we needed a new scorekeeper.