The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 07, 2006, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Overhangs and how to handle them

I have had a couple of 7th/8th grade matches where I have been working alone as R1, and have had trouble with overhanging supports, etc....here is what I had:

1. One location where the beam was directly over the net, about 12 ft above.

2. A location where there is (I kid you not) a net that loosely covers the entire ceiling, about a foot down from the ceiling. Plus a beam that hangs down pretty low on one side of the court

Now, I TRIED to call both places this way (remember here in NYS we use NCAA rules/mechanics):

1. Any service into the obstructions would be a service fault -using signal 5-should it be signal 19?

2. Hits off of Team A volley, and stays on their side - keep playing unless it becomes the 4th hit.

3. If it hits off of Team A's volleys, and goes OVER..or hits the obstruction on the other side - Signal 5 again?

Now as far location #2 is concerned I TRIED to be lineient, and didnt call anything if it just brushed the net, but sometimes, in my judgement, it seemed to actually hit the ceiling...causing some interesting comments from a certain coach...

any suggestions? I return to location #1 this week - this time with an R2 (thank God!) and want to get this down! Thanks!
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Now as far location #2 is concerned I TRIED to be lineient, and didnt call anything if it just brushed the net, but sometimes, in my judgement, it seemed to actually hit the ceiling...causing some interesting comments from a certain coach...
If it just "brushes" the ceiling, it still has contacted the ceiling. Call it as you would any overhanging obstruction. If the ball changes spin or makes any contact with the netting, it has obviously contacted the obstruction. Dead ball is called unless it is on their own side, and they have hits left. This should be covered in the pre-game coach/official conference. Then you should get no "interesting comments". They know exactly what you will be calling.