View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 07, 2006, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Overhangs and how to handle them

I have had a couple of 7th/8th grade matches where I have been working alone as R1, and have had trouble with overhanging supports, etc....here is what I had:

1. One location where the beam was directly over the net, about 12 ft above.

2. A location where there is (I kid you not) a net that loosely covers the entire ceiling, about a foot down from the ceiling. Plus a beam that hangs down pretty low on one side of the court

Now, I TRIED to call both places this way (remember here in NYS we use NCAA rules/mechanics):

1. Any service into the obstructions would be a service fault -using signal 5-should it be signal 19?

2. Hits off of Team A volley, and stays on their side - keep playing unless it becomes the 4th hit.

3. If it hits off of Team A's volleys, and goes OVER..or hits the obstruction on the other side - Signal 5 again?

Now as far location #2 is concerned I TRIED to be lineient, and didnt call anything if it just brushed the net, but sometimes, in my judgement, it seemed to actually hit the ceiling...causing some interesting comments from a certain coach...

any suggestions? I return to location #1 this week - this time with an R2 (thank God!) and want to get this down! Thanks!