The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 17, 2001, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Ok guys,

Here's my question for today how do you handle those situation that have got out of hand. In the last 2 years I have ejected 4 players in 2 different games both times similiar situation 1st time the catcher was purposely ran over by a runner after he touched home took immediatly step to his left duck shoulder and plowed over catcher. This is Adult league catcher was plastered came up swinging and cursing. 2nd situation the catcher was brought down the line by an errant throw the runner about 6'5 and 225lb runs over the 5'9 and 250lb catcher, the runner seeing the catcher coming raise his arms against his body to protect himself well the catcher comes up ready to fight saying the runner try to throw an elbow which he didnt but because of the height difference got hit by an elbow in the face area.
Myself being an unexperience umpire try to break the situation up in both of these situations then finally had to back off, start calling #'s and ejecting. 1st situation tossed the catcher and the runner which ending up hurting the catcher's team because of no subs (forfeit)when they were up by more than 10 runs when this happen. 2nd situation the catcher and his teammate both were ejected for profanity and trying to provoke a fight my partner and I both agreed the runner had done nothing wrong he just trying to protect himself

Now for the question how do you all handle these situation we have been told at are chapter not to get in the middle to back off and start ejecting but to never get involved when these situation occur. Maybe I've watched too much TV but my 1st insticts both times were to try to break it up.

Just wondering

Don
Old Tue Apr 17, 2001, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Don,

If you can get the situation under control before it comes to blows, fine. Once the swinging starts it's time to backoff and start writing down numbers and let the coaches get the situation under control. An umpire should never get involved in a fight between players primarily for liability reasons. Frankly, this old bull is just getting to old to grapple with young teenage bucks, I rule by intimidation

BTW, FED makes the ejection list easy... anyone who isn't on the bench or near his assigned playing position and who isn't a coach who was trying to break up the brawl is gone,

--Sam
Old Tue Apr 17, 2001, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

A good friend of mine is our area Slow Pitch UIC.

He has told me a few stories of fights taking place in the Men's game........when I asked him how he handled it......he said......

"I take a few steps back so I get a good look at the numbers I need to right down..........and after its over......I just start checking off.....Okay, blue team....#14, #8, #44......gone.......red team...#2, #7, #12.....gone."

I have some experience reffing youth soccer also.........the older competetive boys can get very rough.......we have been advised......NEVER touch a player.....let the coaches handle it. No sense in having a parent sue you because you tried to break up a fight with their 17yo Mike Tyson.

Joel

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Apr 17th, 2001 at 06:27 PM]
Old Tue Apr 17, 2001, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Don,
Joel's got good advice. IF you can't prevent the situation for starting, back off, make note of numbers, when the dust & all clears start informing coaches of who all is gone. Like Sam, I like Fed's approach to this, anyone leaving position or bench area other than a coach is gone. In too many of the men's softball leagues, beer is involved. That alone is reason enough for you to keep your distance. And Don, this is coming from a guy who was once extremely well-trained in several of the martial arts. It just isn't worth the personal risk, let alone the hassle, to wade in & try to separate drunks.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2001, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Steve M,

I am sure your years of martial arts training comes in helpful in your umpiring needs. I am talking about the learning of keeping under control,senses,and concentration abilities which I believe are important parts usally taught with martial arts. Do you have any tips or suggestions that you go through on your prepartion for calling a game which you have learn through your martial arts training that you would pass along to us not so experienced umpires that is not normally taught to umpires going through training?

Thanks

Don

[Edited by oppool on Apr 17th, 2001 at 11:10 PM]
Old Wed Apr 18, 2001, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Don,
The biggest "help" I get from martial arts - and I retired more than 20 years ago - is calmness. With proper breathing, you can really control yourself as far as reacting excitedly goes. One of the lessons that I had to learn the hard way was to not react instantly, pause, then decide what your reaction should be, then do it. I've seen too many otherwise really good umps who can't handle big gams because they tend to escalate the excitement level during confrontations instead of being a calming influence.