The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I’m am still learning how to handle coaches and would like your feedback on something that happened to me earlier this season.

I had 2 MS games, one boys and one s. The s game didn’t go very well. It was very physical and I had a partner who was not communicating with me at all. The home coach was not real happy with us. It was my 8th game and I still have a lot to learn. A bad partner didn’t help things. It was his 3rd game and he was never in position. The boys game was going a lot better. I wasn’t hearing much from either and I thought we were doing pretty well. (Despite score problems, clock problems, fan problems, and no possession arrow) Anyway, during a time out the home s coach who was sitting in the 2nd row right behind the bench (the bench was the first row of bleachers) came on the floor and told me that the other team had four coaches (actually they had three) and I was letting them run my game. I know this wasn’t true because they were the only one doing any complaining. Here’s my problem, I know that warranted a T. However, she was not a coach for that game, just a fan and I didn’t want to treat her like an assistant coach because the boys coach hadn’t said a word all night. I guess I could have T'd her as a fan but I'm pretty sure that is a direct on the head coach. I haven't T’d a coach and am still trying to figure out what is acceptable and what is not. I don’t want to be one of those officials who is known for giving out a T whenever someone looks at him/her wrong. What would you do?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Get her off the floor, do not acknowledge anything she has to say.

Find the game management (AD, principal, security, whoever) and tell them she is not allowed on the floor and to please restrain her.

Inform the head coach of the situation and inform him that if she continues her behavior, you will assess a technical foul to the bench, which will e an indirect T on him.

Only technical fouls charged directly to the coach are direct.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

I just looked through my rule book and have been unable to find the rule that allows us to give fans a T. I am sure I have seen this somewhere. I am also pretty sure this is a direct on the coach because he is responsible for the conduct of the fans. Maybe I’m just imagining this rule.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

note 2-8-1

Gostars, your rule reference is the note in 2-8-1, but you are imagining the direct on the head coach part. As BBR pointed out the only way to charge a direct T to the head coach is if the head coach directly gets a T. T'ing the crowd is not directly T'ing the head coach...
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

if she was another official who saw you in distress and was offering advice TO HELP you out, then I MIGHT listen and learn. since she was a coach for the same school that she felt was at a disadvantage, recognize that her ignorance is clouded with bias-ness (i just made that word up). i would have ignored her right after i told her that her options are to either get off the court or leave the gym.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

If she is part of the basketball program at that school, SHE IS NOT A FAN!

And if I said it's not a direct on the coach, you can take it to the bank.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
I just looked through my rule book and have been unable to find the rule that allows us to give fans a T. I am sure I have seen this somewhere. I am also pretty sure this is a direct on the coach because he is responsible for the conduct of the fans. Maybe I’m just imagining this rule.
The coach is directly responsible for the conduct of his bench and if you T one of them all the coach gets is an Indirect. Why would the coach get a direct for the conduct of one and not the other? If BktBallRef said it wasn't a direct I would tend to believe him.

Anyway I thought game management was responsible for fans.

[Edited by joseph2493 on Jan 20th, 2005 at 02:44 PM]
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 02:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
The head coach is not responsible for the fans. Responsibility for fans lies with the home or game management. Read casebook play 2.8.1 and the COMMENT attached when you get a chance.It gives you very good guidance on how to handle "crowd" situations.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know were I got the idea HC is responsible for the fans but I know I heard it somewhere. After readying 2-8-1 I think whoever I heard that from was misinterpreting this rule.

We have been told to avoid calling fouls on fans because that just leads to more trouble. I was just mentioning it as an option.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Never T a fan or even a group of fans unless it is clear that there is an infraction like a delay of game. An example is back in the early '90s, Florida (NCAA) had some idiot playing for them that was like 7 foot and had spit on some kid at a tennis court who had made a reference to his height. UF was playing somewhere in the SEC, and whoever was home had virtually all their fans bring a tennis ball. When this guy was first called for a foul, everyone threw their ball on the court.

THAT was an obvious T situation. Funny? Yes. Worth it? Definitely. I'm not even sure the coaches would be that upset about it. But it takes those situations. Otherwise, if a fan or group is causing a problem, get the game admin to get them out of there ASAP. DON'T be timid about doing that, but make sure its warranted. Calling you blind isn't warranted. Them being drunk is.

As far as handling coaches, that only comes with experience. If you are young (early 20's) or look that, it will be even tougher. I had this same exact problem when I started. The best thing to do is to follow the rules and keep all conversation with the bench to an absolute minimum. If they ask a question, answer it. If they are arguing, walk away. Administer a technical foul when and if warranted. I didn't light up many coaches, and it took a look to get one from me. But if they charged down the bench, or got on the court, they got a VERY quick one.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie

As far as handling coaches, that only comes with experience. If you are young (early 20's) or look that, it will be even tougher.
I'm 18