The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Smile 2006 Nfhs Exam

Anyone have the 2006 NFHS Volleyball exam? How about the answer key? If so please email to me. Thanks
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

test part one

It's open book test. If you need help e mail the question, I don't have a test.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Test questions

I have to know exactly to feel comfortable and if it doesn't say word for word in the rule book it makes me uncomfortable answering questions. Sorry there are so many. I just have to be 100% correct or I worry.

3. Team A has transpertaton issues and, therefore, has only five players tobegin the match. The officials should allow the match to begin. Why do they put transportation in this question? Is it false?

12. The assistant scorer (Libero Tracker) shall notify the umpire if the libero is replaced by an incorrect player. They notify the official scorer to sound a signal at the time the ball is contacted for the serve when their is improper replacement and they notify the umpire during the first dead ball when there is a discrepancy with a replacement. So is it true or false because they can also notify the scorer first in some instances.

72. Legal uniforms During the game a second player from team s is discovered wearing earrings. The referee assesses team s with unnecessary delay and charges a time out. t or fWhat if there is no time out, isn't it a loss of point?
Then right below it there is this:
73. In the prematch warmup, s2 is wearing earrings. The referee requires s2 to remove the earings and charges team s with unnecessary delay/time out.
I guess I am confussed because I read them the same. I think I am trying to think it through too much. HELP!

76. Only five players for team A have arrived at game time. The official can grant the coach's request for a time-out to give his/her players time to arrive. Again this transportation thing.

Also can you take both timeouts before the game starts. There is nothing in the book to say you can't that I find.

Yellow and red cards for misconduct:
79. Non-playing team members may stand behind the bench in the warm up area to watch the game. The rules state they may warm up without a ball. So is this False because it says watching instead of warming up.

90, Play should continue if CF on Team S reaches across the net, makes no contact with the ball, but touches team R setters hands after the ball has left teh setters hands. Assume False but can not find in book.

92. S1 is awarded a reserve. S1 serves two more points before being substititued by S8. S8 requires a reserve on the next serve. The referee should deny s8's request for a reserve and award a loss of rally/point to the other team. Assume true since you only get one reserve per serve.

It is legal (proper procedure)
99. A player reaches over the bleachers to save pass and then falls into the bleachers following the contact. Is this true?
100. A substitute approaches the sub zone but returns to his/her seat before being recongized by the umpire. True correct?
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatksu
I have to know exactly to feel comfortable and if it doesn't say word for word in the rule book it makes me uncomfortable answering questions. Sorry there are so many. I just have to be 100% correct or I worry.

3. Team A has transpertaton issues and, therefore, has only five players tobegin the match. The officials should allow the match to begin. Why do they put transportation in this question? Is it false?

12. The assistant scorer (Libero Tracker) shall notify the umpire if the libero is replaced by an incorrect player. They notify the official scorer to sound a signal at the time the ball is contacted for the serve when their is improper replacement and they notify the umpire during the first dead ball when there is a discrepancy with a replacement. So is it true or false because they can also notify the scorer first in some instances.

72. Legal uniforms During the game a second player from team s is discovered wearing earrings. The referee assesses team s with unnecessary delay and charges a time out. t or fWhat if there is no time out, isn't it a loss of point?
73. In the prematch warmup, s2 is wearing earrings. The referee requires s2 to remove the earings and charges team s with unnecessary delay/time out.
I guess I am confussed because I read them the same. I think I am trying to think it through too much. HELP!

76. Only five players for team A have arrived at game time. The official can grant the coach's request for a time-out to give his/her players time to arrive. Again this transportation thing.

Also can you take both timeouts before the game starts. There is nothing in the book to say you can't that I find.

Yellow and red cards for misconduct:
79. Non-playing team members may stand behind the bench in the warm up area to watch the game. The rules state they may warm up without a ball. So is this False because it says watching instead of warming up.

90, Play should continue if CF on Team S reaches across the net, makes no contact with the ball, but touches team R setters hands after the ball has left teh setters hands. Assume False but can not find in book.

92. S1 is awarded a reserve. S1 serves two more points before being substititued by S8. S8 requires a reserve on the next serve. The referee should deny s8's request for a reserve and award a loss of rally/point to the other team. Assume true since you only get one reserve per serve.

It is legal (proper procedure)
99. A player reaches over the bleachers to save pass and then falls into the bleachers following the contact. Is this true?
100. A substitute approaches the sub zone but returns to his/her seat before being recongized by the umpire. True correct?

I assume you mean Part One. Here are the answers to your questions and, yes, I know they are right, I made a 94.

3 - F; 12-T; 72-F; 73-F; 76-T; 90-T; 92-F; 99-T; 100-T

It sounds like you are over thinking these questions.... I don't want to sound condescending here, so please do not take these comments that way, but for the record, you are never going to find all of the answers word for word in a rule book. You have to take the rule and interpret it a LOT of the time. Also, please come to peace with the fact that you're never going to get everything right when officiating. You will miss calls in a game. If you're going to let it worry you this much, officiating is going to be a difficult avocation for you. Also, when taking your test, be sure and consult the case book. Often the situations will be spelled out almost word for word.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I have too agree with refnrev, we would all like to be perfect. I work hard to be the best official that I can be. Do I get them all right, I hope so but there are so many grey areas. The one's that keep me up at night are the one's that I wish that I had or hadn't blown the whistle. Then you know what you have to let it go and get on when the next play and get it right.
I used to umpire baseball and softball everytime that I worked the plate and I felt that I may have missed a play or a pitch, I would clean the plate, and get the next one right. BTW I had the cleanest plate in St. Louis.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Rules references included

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatksu
3. Team A has transpertaton issues and, therefore, has only five players tobegin the match. The officials should allow the match to begin.
6-1-1

Quote:
5-6-3-b. This IS a "discrepancy with a replacement," and they don't have to wait (nor should they) until the ball is dead to notify the umpire if they are sure about the error. The question doesn't specify when they notify the umpire. Stop overthinking the question.

Quote:
9-9-1-Penalty. The penalty for first offense is time out. If it is their third time out, the penalty for excessive timeouts is loss of rally. Subsequent penalties (4-1) are loss of rally. Again, stop overthinking the question.
Quote:
We never "require" someone to remove jewelry, only tell them that they cannot participate with the jewelry on.

Quote:

Don't you love when you can answer your own questions?

Quote:
Again, don't you love when you can answer your own questions?

Quote:
See Case Book Situation 9.6.3.

Quote:
See Case Book Situation 8.1.4.

Quote:
99. A player reaches over the bleachers to save pass and then falls into the bleachers following the contact.
2-4-2.

Quote:
100. A substitute approaches the sub zone but returns to his/her seat before being recongized by the umpire.
If it doesn't cause a delay, don't look for trouble. Similar to Case Book 10.2.7.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee

Last edited by FMadera; Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 03:37pm.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 01:41pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Only a couple of things...

#72 - Please refer to 4-1 PENALTIES on page 17 of the Rules Book. This was the 2nd time a player for that team had been discovered with jewelty during the match, therefore Penalty 3 applies: "For subsequent violations by the same team during the match, a loss of rally, point shall be awarded the opponent. The player shall be removed unless the illegal equipment is removed or made legal immediately."

#92 - Read 8-1-4 on page 30 of the Rules Book. Each server is allowed a one re-serve.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)