The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 13, 2020, 12:39pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Bring coaches together?

I'm doing my iRef training and there's a "What would you do?" question about a lengthy delay to fix a scoring question. The result is to the detriment of Team B. And the trainer says to go to Coach B first since s/he is the one receiving the bad news.

Is there a compelling reason to give the information to the coaches separately? My basketball background says to bring the coaches together. This ensures that (1) neither coach thinks something is said about them; and (2) if there's a suggestion that you said something inappropriate, there's a witness to the conversation.

Would I be given a bad grade for bringing the coaches together to tell them the result of the scoring review?
Old Mon Apr 13, 2020, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

I can't answer your last question. I would be in agreement with you, but my initial training is also in the care and feeding of basketball coaches. Bring both coaches together to explain your decision, and move on.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2020, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

(Qualifiers: I am a primarily a coach. I am flexible and open to common sense and hear what the above posters as saying. I'll let someone else quote chapter and verse if needed.)

I would error toward protocol and keeping coaches contained in their proper areas. I stretch/break protocol as much as anyone in the amount I directly interact with scorers as a coach without going through the R2. However, once there is a real problem, even I know there are practical reasons to give the table a wide berth and wait to have the official give me the final verdict.

There might be exceptions, but to make it explicit, I'd be most concerned about unhelpful interactions between coach and scorer and quickly getting (upset) coaches back to their areas when everyone else is ready to resume play. If coaches are in front of their benches, those are less of an issue. It is a few extra steps and the second conversation is likely even shorter than the first.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2020, 02:55pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Interesting point, Coach. Thank you for the insight!
Old Tue Apr 14, 2020, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I'm doing my iRef training and there's a "What would you do?" question about a lengthy delay to fix a scoring question. The result is to the detriment of Team B. And the trainer says to go to Coach B first since s/he is the one receiving the bad news.

Is there a compelling reason to give the information to the coaches separately? My basketball background says to bring the coaches together. This ensures that (1) neither coach thinks something is said about them; and (2) if there's a suggestion that you said something inappropriate, there's a witness to the conversation.

Would I be given a bad grade for bringing the coaches together to tell them the result of the scoring review?
If the result is to the detriment of Team B, I'm not sure there' much that needs to be said to Coach A other than a "we're good now."
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee