The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I was asked to do a final game, the third in a three game series, of 12/13 year old rec league game. I was happy and I thought it would be fun. It was a 4 man game and I had third base. When I got there I found out there was a mess the night before. The first game went 9 innings and the second went 12, so it was close. Apparently the site coordinator had some problems after the game when people from one team surrounded her car (she is in her early '20s). It is a close knit league where the coordinators, site reps, umpires and scorekeepers (many are umpire's kids) all know each other and hang out (even get there early) even though it is the lowest paying league around. So the umpires came to the rescue. The coach was banned from the final and the game would not be played without the president of the offending teams organization being present. Gee, what was I walking into. The immediate past president of the league and the current interpretor (who is one of the site coordinators), who was Varsity umpire of the year for the last 3 yrs and goes to the State finals every year was called in to do the plate. A Sr. Varsity Umpire did 2nd and an umpire that's been around the league for years (and a top umpire) did first. The former league interpretor for my assoc. was designated the site coordinator and a couple of umpires came over from a canceled game to "watch" (on their own). What I was doing there I don't know, but it was offered to me before the incidents, so they stuck with me.
A stern pre-game gave the coaches the impression it was going to be peaceful. It was a close game until the 5th and the "bad" guys lost 9-6. However, it was a lesson in game control that I will never forget. Nothing was questioned until the 5th when a player was called out for not sliding or avoiding contact causing the fielder to drop the ball and it was brief and that was it. I didn't hear the usual moaning and groaning on pitch locations from where I was. If only all our games can go as smootly. It is also priceless to see the reaction of the kids winning the championship. This is what make it really worthwhile and no adults to ruin it.

Sorry for rambling, but thought I would share.

Ed H
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

.......and I bet they do the speed limit when they see the squadcar with the radar gun..............

Freix
Old Fri Aug 03, 2001, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Cool

They . . . and probably a lot of us as well . . . need to watch and enjoy some Special Olympics competitions to see what sportsmanship, and athletics, is REALLY all about. I know it's not the case all the time, but I accept contracts to officiate some of the Christian schools' games for some of the same reasons. You MIGHT get an occasional outburst, but certainly no rough and tumble "I'll show you" type of conduct. In many cases, they even begin the game with both teams lining up along the 1st and 3rd baselines and say a prayer together . . . and include the safety of the umpires in their petitions. I like to think there are still places on this earth where baseball is just a game.
Peace,
Jerry