The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 17, 2018, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Line-Up Error Causes Substitution Issue

Coach A indicates 7 will start on the line up. #8 reports on the court at the beginning of the set. Both #7 and #8 are on the roster.

I know the coach can use a substitute (one of the allowed 18) to have #8 start. So far, so good.

A few rotations into the set, #7 tries to substitute for #24 (a different spot in the lineup). Allowed? Reference?

I couldn't find a case on this in the book.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Number 7 cannot sub into a different position. Officially, #7 started in the position now occupied by #8, and can only sub back in to that position.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavbref View Post
Number 7 cannot sub into a different position. Officially, #7 started in the position now occupied by #8, and can only sub back in to that position.
Thanks. That's how I ruled -- very confusing for the coaches (and, honestly, for me). Is there a case play? Any rule reference other than 10-3-7-c-4 (or is that sufficient)?
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Thanks. That's how I ruled -- very confusing for the coaches (and, honestly, for me). Is there a case play? Any rule reference other than 10-3-7-c-4 (or is that sufficient)?
The only other casebook ruling that is close is 7.1.2-a which covers the original fault--i.e #7 listed on line-up but #8 is on the court. Everything else follows based on the fact that #8 substituted for #7
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavbref View Post
The only other casebook ruling that is close is 7.1.2-a which covers the original fault--i.e #7 listed on line-up but #8 is on the court. Everything else follows based on the fact that #8 substituted for #7
Correct. We aren't, by rule, "correcting" or "fixing" their lineup error; all we're doing is facilitating a substitution, 8 for 7. 7 is still in that position for the duration of the set, just like any non-exceptional substitution.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee