The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 20, 2017, 05:25pm
Lighten up, Francis.

R1 mechanic on net fault

NCAA Women's, as always.

My understanding is that when the R2 stops play due to a net fault, the R1 does not mimic the "net" signal. The R1 simply awards the point and then shows the offending player's number to the table and benches.

1) Is this correct?
2) If it is correct, it can generate confusion when the offending player is #2 or #4, because the R1 simply awards the point and then puts up 2 or 4. That signal progression is typically used for other things.

Is there anything that can be done to avoid looking like I'm calling a double or 4-contacts?
Old Tue Nov 21, 2017, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

1) Yes

2) I don't see the confusion because of the "time lag" between play being stopped and R1 awarding the point (to wait for R2 to indicate the fault and relay the number)
Old Tue Nov 21, 2017, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
1) Yes

2) I don't see the confusion because of the "time lag" between play being stopped and R1 awarding the point (to wait for R2 to indicate the fault and relay the number)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Tue Nov 21, 2017, 09:33am
Lighten up, Francis.

I'm sure you guys are right, but these little things really bug me sometimes. I don't like that the exact same signal progression is used for two completely different things.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2017, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow

While similar, the two/four hits signals are given differently than the #2 / #4 number signals, aren't they?

In my experience, two/four hit signal is given directly to the left or right (offending side) of the R1 and R2's body. The #2/4 number signal is on the offending side, but held more front-left or front-right of the body.
Old Mon Nov 27, 2017, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by timasdf View Post
While similar, the two/four hits signals are given differently than the #2 / #4 number signals, aren't they?

In my experience, two/four hit signal is given directly to the left or right (offending side) of the R1 and R2's body. The #2/4 number signal is on the offending side, but held more front-left or front-right of the body.
I've never heard that differentiation before.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2018, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
I've never heard that differentiation before.
Hi Felix,

I've not been on the board for a while (several weeks, I guess). I'm a bit surprised by your reply...not because I question it, but that I thought that's how it was trained at that level.

When I have watched Big Ten and NCAA Tournament-level matches, I don't think I have ever seen a net violation on player #4 signaled directly to the side of the R1/R2 (where the 2-hits and 4-hits signals are displayed). i.e. bicep in line with both shoulders and forearm directly up/down from elbow. To me, that's always been the position for the double-contact and 4-hits call. When watching the elite officials (D1 regionals, semi-finals, finals), the R2 has almost always displayed player numbers forward of his/her body on the offending side.

Just found this on Page 98 of the 2017-18 NFHS Volleyball Case/Manual:

"When showing player numbers, it is important to not create confusion with signaling illegal multiple contacts (showing '2') or 4 hits (showing '4'). The first referee should hold the player number signal in an area not used to show a foul involving number of player contacts. This could be at shoulder height and slightly to the side of the offending team as opposed to head height where '2-hit' and '4-hit' signals are to be held."

Truth be told, I don't recall having ever seen this verbiage before, but did what I described earlier because I saw so many highly-regarded officials doing it that way...and it seemed quite logical to me.

- Tim
Old Tue Jan 16, 2018, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Truth be told, I might have misread what you said. Now that I think about it, I probably do distinguish the number a little differently (more pushed forward) than a 2 or 4 hits signal as well.

However, the confusion is also generally minimized because, more often than not, the origin of the rally ending whistle is usually pretty obvious, and you shouldn't have an R1 appearing to signal two hits without that referee first whistling.

Sorry for the confusion.