The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 23, 2017, 10:04pm
Old player new ref

Non vertical parts of a vertical backboard

I had a middle school match tonight with vertical backboards hanging from the ceiling behind both halves of the court. Simple enough that if the ball hits the backboard or rim or pole I blow it dead and decide whether it was playable or not and award side or replay.

The retraction system for these backboards was like the ones used to raise ceiling mounted volleyball nets - a long angled strap and cable that reached toward the center of the building from both ends. That means that part of the strap was fairly low near the backboard and then up high at about the attack line.

I looked through the rule and case books, and it seems to address volleyball net straps but not backboard straps. I told the coaches I'd consider them part of the backboard system and rule on them the same as the backboard. Is that right or should they have been considered part of the ceiling?
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I would rule the straps to be part of the ceiling, and not part of the "backboard or its supports" (2-3-h).

But, I'm willing to learn I would be wrong.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

I think the intention of the rule writers for vertical backboard is that the supports, cables, pipes, etc all go either up to the ceiling or back away from the court toward the back wall.

I'm not certain I understand from your description, but if the strap comes from the supports significantly toward the court so that it is over the playing court, then I agree with Bob and I would think it a part of the ceiling.

I think of it this way. The typical ball hitting a BB goal is heading away from the court because of a team passing error. The rule does not bail them out for making a bad pass, dead ball. Under the rare occasion where they have a play-replay. In any case, leaving the ball in play would give an advantage to the team that just shanked a pass.

For a ball hitting the ceiling, they typically failed to control the ball, but have kept the ball in play. The ceiling hurts their chances of playing the ball because it usually returns to the ground quickly. If the court was outdoors or at an Olympic venue, the ball would have continued up, then returned to the court for the next hit. So the team has not gained an advantage by playing the ball off the ceiling, rather they needed additional skill to keep the ball in play.

So if a ball can be played straight up from a back row position and hit this strap, then it needs to be called as part of the ceiling.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 09:04am
Old player new ref

Thanks for all the input. The point about the ball going straight up vs shanking back makes sense. Next time in the pre game captains meeting I will point them out as part of the ceiling and to continue play.

The straps did not come into play during that match, but they did have an errant dig swish through the basketball hoop - nothing but net. There was a player underneath waiting for it and actually returned the ball to play and over the volleyball net but I had already blown it dead and signaled replay. The crowd got a rise out of it and, of course, lots of "that should be worth 2 points!" comments.