The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 20, 2017, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Rule cite for coach, serving out of order

Good evening.

Had this ugliness in a MS match tonight of all things. I'm the R2.

Team S has the wrong server serve, she hits it out of bounds, rally point to Team R.

After the serve I look over at Team S, see something wrong, and I look over my shoulder and say to the home scorer "The wrong player just served, didn't she?"

Both scorers check and he says "You're right". Team R gets permission and they serve. So its my bad for not picking it up sooner, and the scorer's bad for not picking it up and informing me about it.

Team R's serve hits the net, rally point to Team S, who is in correct order (!) at time of service. After rally point I stop the match, tell the Team S coach number X is the proper server. To make a long story short she yells at me for her mistake of not getting the service order right, and she picks up a yellow card for USC.

After the match the Team R coach comes up to me and says "Tell me why we did not get a point when they served out of order in the first set. When we were out of order earlier in the year the other team got a point."

I replied "because I did not know they were out of alignment until after the point was over. You won the rally point coach, and the penalty for serving our of order is point and side out to you. You do not get a rally point and a point for them being out of alignment/illegal server."

So I did not exactly cover myself with glory, but I am looking to find some case book play to send to the Team R coach so she does not think I cheated her girls out of a point. Sadly her team got shelled in 2 sets and the point did not matter, but I feel like I owe her an explanation from the rule book.

Thanks for your help.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2017, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Wrong Server

I can't find a case book example, but the rule is Rule 8 Section 2 Article 7
Old Thu Sep 21, 2017, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
After the serve I look over at Team S, see something wrong, and I look over my shoulder and say to the home scorer "The wrong player just served, didn't she?"

Both scorers check and he says "You're right".
For future reference, *right here* is where you should have said something to Team S, before R serves. Might have changed the whole dynamic.

Then again, maybe not.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Fri Sep 22, 2017, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavbref View Post
I can't find a casebook example, but the rule is Rule 8 Section 2 Article 7
I'm 90% certain there is a casebook example, but I forgot to bring my books today.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2017, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Case book 8.2.5 shows which points get cancelled, all points served by the improper server and any following during the same term of service.

Since in your OP, team S gets the side out point, and no more. And Team R gets the same side out/point from the service fault they would have gotten if you had correctly penalized the improper server.