The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 11, 2017, 09:07am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Monroeville, PA
Posts: 2
ball on other side of net

Watched the UCLA-Hawaii match over the weekend and saw something I'd never seen in 30+ years of being around the game.

#5 receives serve, but dramatically overpasses to other side and on opposite side of court, still between antennae, but obviously going out of bounds. #2 ducks under net outside of sideline, reaches the ball at about the attack line extension and passes back (outside of antennae) to own team. #1 then shoots the ball to the serving side, but the ball is called out by a line judge because #1's hit went over the antenna.

So what would have been the correct call if someone from the serving team tried to play the overpass, but ran into #2?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 11, 2017, 10:12am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 538
Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey6 View Post
Watched the UCLA-Hawaii match over the weekend and saw something I'd never seen in 30+ years of being around the game.

#5 receives serve, but dramatically overpasses to other side and on opposite side of court, still between antennae, but obviously going out of bounds. #2 ducks under net outside of sideline, reaches the ball at about the attack line extension and passes back (outside of antennae) to own team. #1 then shoots the ball to the serving side, but the ball is called out by a line judge because #1's hit went over the antenna.

So what would have been the correct call if someone from the serving team tried to play the overpass, but ran into #2?
It would have been interference if the serving team member interfered with a legitimate effort to play the ball. I believe the center line signal is the correct signal.
__________________
Felix A. Madera
USAV Indoor National / Beach Zonal Referee
FIVB Qualified International Scorer
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 11, 2017, 03:28pm
Moderator M-800
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
It would have been interference if the serving team member interfered with a legitimate effort to play the ball. I believe the center line signal is the correct signal.
This sounds wrong...

It would be interference if the serving team tried to make a legitimate play on the ball that's on THEIR side of the net, near a sideline, merely because someone from the OTHER side of the net was also trying to play that ball?
__________________
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'

West Houston Mike
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 11, 2017, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 538
Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
This sounds wrong...

It would be interference if the serving team tried to make a legitimate play on the ball that's on THEIR side of the net, near a sideline, merely because someone from the OTHER side of the net was also trying to play that ball?
Assuming a pursuable ball, yes. If the ball isn't pursuable (only in USAV and men's college, if there's enough clearance), then there's no fault.
__________________
Felix A. Madera
USAV Indoor National / Beach Zonal Referee
FIVB Qualified International Scorer
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ball Hit on Opposing Side blueump Volleyball 1 Wed Aug 29, 2012 07:14pm
When to go ball side (2 person) Adam Basketball 3 Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:47am
ball side lead in a 2 man? UNH IM Ref Basketball 17 Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:37pm
ball side mechanic cdoug Basketball 15 Sat Nov 22, 2008 05:20pm
2 Man - Ball-Side Mechanic BLS Basketball 9 Wed Nov 05, 2008 05:18pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1