The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 10:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

When to go ball side (2 person)

Worked a 2 person game last night, and had a situation that I'm trying to figure out how to avoid.

I'm lead, opposite table, when the ball goes to the table side corner. Post players end up table side trying to get position, so I cross over. As I cross, the pass goes to the high post, and the ball squirts out to my sideline. I saw it squirt, but players were in the way and I didn't see it go OOB.

Fortunately, trail was on it and had a whistle once she realized I didn't. She also had the call, so it worked out.

I'm just wondering if I was too quick to go ball side on that play. Thoughts?
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Worked a 2 person game last night, and had a situation that I'm trying to figure out how to avoid.

I'm lead, opposite table, when the ball goes to the table side corner. Post players end up table side trying to get position, so I cross over. As I cross, the pass goes to the high post, and the ball squirts out to my sideline. I saw it squirt, but players were in the way and I didn't see it go OOB.

Fortunately, trail was on it and had a whistle once she realized I didn't. She also had the call, so it worked out.

I'm just wondering if I was too quick to go ball side on that play. Thoughts?
I think you were right. You have to give up something, and the better percentage is to be watching the post players (more so if looking to the post was part of the offense; less so if the move was "just in case the defense didn't follow" or to free up space at the top -- you need to know the offense).
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:07am
Courageous When Prudent

Even if you hadn't gone tableside you still might not have seen who caused the ball to go OOB.

In your play, I probably would have rotated over also to referee the post. And then hit my whistle and ask for help when the ball went OOB.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you played it right. 2 person is always, always, always a game of trade offs. IIRC, according to the NFHS mechanics book, when the L comes ball side, the T rolls more towards the middle and picks up L's sideline.