The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 08, 2017, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Coach asks for Rules Clarification

What are a coach's options (if any) when he thinks a rule was misapplied? For example, if a player contacts the cables from the net to the pole (no disputing the facts here), and the coach thinks the call (or no call) was wrong -- can he ask that the rule book be consulted? If he does, should the R agree to it? OR do we just play on with the call and then hopefully both parties look it up afterward and someone learns something?
Old Sat Apr 08, 2017, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What are a coach's options (if any) when he thinks a rule was misapplied? For example, if a player contacts the cables from the net to the pole (no disputing the facts here), and the coach thinks the call (or no call) was wrong -- can he ask that the rule book be consulted? If he does, should the R agree to it? OR do we just play on with the call and then hopefully both parties look it up afterward and someone learns something?
I think it depends on if the rule code allows for a protest. If the rule code allows for a protest of a misapplication of the rule, as soon as the coach uses the term protest and that protest is determined to be a misapplication of the rule, rather than a judgment call (which is not protestable) the officials should consult the rule book.

Even the net cable issue can become complicated. Let's use the example you mentioned, a player is called for contacting the net cable (USAV rules). The first question the coach should ask is for an explanation of the call. What was the call and why was it called. If the official indicates the player contacted the net cable and it interfered with play, this is not protestable, as in the officials judgment, there was interference. If the explanation was simply that the player contacted the net cable, then the coach could protest the call. Since the rule allows for contact outside the antenna, then there is no violation.
Old Sun Apr 09, 2017, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I think it depends on if the rule code allows for a protest. If the rule code allows for a protest of a misapplication of the rule, as soon as the coach uses the term protest and that protest is determined to be a misapplication of the rule, rather than a judgment call (which is not protestable) the officials should consult the rule book.

Even the net cable issue can become complicated. Let's use the example you mentioned, a player is called for contacting the net cable (USAV rules). The first question the coach should ask is for an explanation of the call. What was the call and why was it called. If the official indicates the player contacted the net cable and it interfered with play, this is not protestable, as in the officials judgment, there was interference. If the explanation was simply that the player contacted the net cable, then the coach could protest the call. Since the rule allows for contact outside the antenna, then there is no violation.
This was HS rules. Sorry for not being clear. The coach never used the word "protest" or even "let's look it up" -- although he did say that they had looked it up after a previous (and opposite) call in an earlier match. He only asked for a replay.
Old Mon Apr 10, 2017, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
They can ask for a timeout to review an incorrect application of the rules. If they are correct, then they do not get charged the timeout. If they are incorrect, they get charged the timeout. If they are out of timeouts, they can still request the review, but then would be subject to the applicable penalty if they were incorrect.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Mon Apr 10, 2017, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post

In the example above, even saying it the officials judgement it interfered with play could be protestable, as by rule, this is not one of the criteria for interfering with play, and as such, applying judgement to this is still a rule misapplication.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Tue Apr 11, 2017, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
They can ask for a timeout to review an incorrect application of the rules. If they are correct, then they do not get charged the timeout. If they are incorrect, they get charged the timeout. If they are out of timeouts, they can still request the review, but then would be subject to the applicable penalty if they were incorrect.
thanks. Your prompt sent me back into the rules book where I found it. Much appreciated.

Full disclosure -- I made the call (violation), the coach sent the captain over, I explained it, the coach said that it had been called that way before, the "other" coach complained, they looked it up and it was NOT a violation. He never asked for a TO to review the rule, even though I asked him, "What do you want to do?"

Heck, it's my first year -- it's entirely possible that I will misapply (or have misapplied) a rule or two.