The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Too many players

Ok, how do you handle this situation.

Team R loses a rally and as Team S is moving into position to serve, the libero for Team R comes on the floor, but nobody departs the floor.

The reason I asked is I had this situation on a freshman match last week. DHS's (school initials) libero came on the floor but nobody came off. I (R1) watched and waited for about 20 seconds for something to happen, trying to give DHS the opportunity to correct their issue (or call timeout, or a lineup check or something). Finally I had to whistle for the serve and as the R1 called the defense out of alignment for too many players.

Should I have done this, or should I have simply given a delay sanction for delaying the libero replacement. (Which would have been a red after they had two players found with earrings on trying to sub in earlier in the set).

What was worse is my R2 was just as clueless as DHS was about what was happening. Even after I called the illegal alignment and was holding up 7 fingers both the R2 and the coach were struggling to understand what was happening. Finally the coach called a time out and they needed the full minute to figure it out.

As a side note: In this conference we rarely have two officials on a freshman or JV match. They prefer (and the assigner agrees) to have most matches done with 1 official for frosh and JV (and we play all 3 sets).
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

I would have gone with the delay. But, what do I know?
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Once your arm goes up, no more substitutions or replacements. At that point, I would have called a delay for having 7 players on the court. This is definitely an unusual situation and one that I have not had to deal with...yet
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony.oe4 View Post
Once your arm goes up, no more ... replacements.
Just curious ... what rule are you citing to say this?

To answer Chap, this is a delay.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Ok, how do you handle this situation.
What was worse is my R2 was just as clueless as DHS was about what was happening. Even after I called the illegal alignment and was holding up 7 fingers both the R2 and the coach were struggling to understand what was happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony.oe4
This is definitely an unusual situation and one that I have not had to deal with...yet
Ages ago in a pre-season rules clinic scrimmage, I had my libero enter to serve and no one came off in order to create this kind of situation. [They asked the two coaches to create havoc if possible]. Unfortunately, no one (at least not the R1 or R2 in training) noticed the extra player for the duration of the rally. The trainer may have chosen to pass on that to correct some other glaring fault (I don't recall), but ever since I've been far more aware of how easy it is for the truly bizarre to slip past the less prepared official when they don't have good help.

I assume only if you actually get caught unaware like that R1 do you actually want to go with the illegal allignment, no? It sounds like others are suggesting there is clear support to call the delay without going through with the signal for serve once the team delays completing the replacement past the point that R1 extends the arm [I had similar USAV conversation last season, don't recall on NFHS].

Last edited by "Lurker"77; Fri Oct 28, 2016 at 04:31pm.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

If L (or the person L is replacing) comes on the court, and the person that is supposed to leave doesn't leave immediately, it's a delay. The definition of "immediately" is not spelled out ... but I'd say once it's clear no one's leaving, that's the time to signal it. If they are causing you to delay the beckon, card it.

West Houston Mike