The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Question When is Set Over? Too Late to Correct Error?

When serving team has appears to have 24 points, R2 checks with scorekeeper, then gives set point signal. Serving team gets the point. R1 signals end of set. Shortly after teams have changed courts, the scorekeeper determines that something was incorrect. R2 confirms that the serving team...

A. ...actually has only 24 points.
-OR-
B. ...had an incorrect server for the would-be 25th point.

At what point is it too late to fix? Despite multiple text searches of my digital copies of the rule book / case book / manual, I was unable to find anything specifically referencing this. Rule 1-5 is super generic. No Case Book references for Rule 1-5, either.

Thoughts? Rule References?
Old Fri Oct 21, 2016, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

The set is not officially over until the R2 initials the scoresheet. Until that happens, you can make the players get back on the court to finish the set.

I would hope figuring out the wrong server served set point would be taken care of long before the R1 whistles the end of set and exchanging of sides.

Hopefully, the R2 is checking the book during time outs so this sort of thing doesn't happen or at least only occurs from the last time out to the end of set.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2016, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

I have had this happen in the boy's season last year. The scorer missed a point after a substitution earlier in the set, told me that the score was 24-23, and I indicated match point to the R1. There was not a time-out in this set to allow checking the score sheet, and after the team scored what we believed to be the 25th point, I checked the score sheet and discovered the missing point. We put both teams back on the court, had a line-up check using the score sheet to ensure that everyone was in the proper position, and played one additional point.

The primary point to take out of this is to always check the score sheet at every chance you get to prevent an awkward situation at the end.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2016, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

PavBrief,
So how did you check the score? Did you review all 48 points? If so how did you recall all the points. Once the set is over unless someone questions something what are you checking?
Old Sat Oct 22, 2016, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

NFHS shore sheet has the score in two places: the running score and the server line. I scanned the server lines to ensure that each point was recorded. If the scorer is doing their job correctly, you can reconstruct the entire set. Also, if the R2 checks the score sheet at each time-out, the number of points that need to be scanned is reduced to the number scored since the last time-out.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2016, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow

In my experience, the scorekeeper simply says "game point" to the R2. The R2 then gives the "set point" informal signal.

pavbref: Are you saying that you stop the match to manually count points since the last TO?

All: Can anyone provide a specific rule reference for the hard end of the set (the point at which it's too late to fix the scoring error)?
Old Mon Oct 24, 2016, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timasdf View Post
In my experience, the scorekeeper simply says "game point" to the R2. The R2 then gives the "set point" informal signal.

pavbref: Are you saying that you stop the match to manually count points since the last TO?

All: Can anyone provide a specific rule reference for the hard end of the set (the point at which it's too late to fix the scoring error)?
timasdf: You do not stop the match, but you must verify the score sheet at the end of each set per rule 5-5-3-b-16 through 5-5-3-b-18