The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 23, 2016, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Test Question 6

When is unnecessary delay charged to a team?

* A. A substitution is delayed.
* B. A team requests its 19th substitution.
* C. The libero replacement takes place as the R1 extends arm to beckon for serve.
* D. All of the above.

I think A and B are UD (leading to answer D), but I don't think C is UD.

Is C UD? If so, what's the reference? (and I hope it isn't a case play because I still don't have the case book).

Thanks,
Old Tue Aug 23, 2016, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

As I see it, Bob, this is another poorly worded question. A libero replacement, which takes place as the R1 extends his/her arm to beckon for the serve is not necessarily illegal by rule. We must assume that the libero replacement mentioned in option "C" is illegal for some other reason. The rule reference is 10-4-1f plus PENALTY 1. You are correct that options "A" and "B" also result in UD.

EDIT: I suppose you could interpret 10-4-1f to mean that the libero replacement must take place before the R1 even extends his/her arm for the serve, without sounding the whistle or completing the signal with a sweeping motion toward the opposite shoulder. I know too many R1s in my area who extend their arm and then leave it there for several seconds before completing the mechanic.

Last edited by bbsbvb83; Tue Aug 23, 2016 at 10:16pm.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2016, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbvb83 View Post
As I see it, Bob, this is another poorly worded question. A libero replacement, which takes place as the R1 extends his/her arm to beckon for the serve is not necessarily illegal by rule. We must assume that the libero replacement mentioned in option "C" is illegal for some other reason. The rule reference is 10-4-1f plus PENALTY 1. You are correct that options "A" and "B" also result in UD.

EDIT: I suppose you could interpret 10-4-1f to mean that the libero replacement must take place before the R1 even extends his/her arm for the serve, without sounding the whistle or completing the signal with a sweeping motion toward the opposite shoulder. I know too many R1s in my area who extend their arm and then leave it there for several seconds before completing the mechanic.
Thanks. Answer D was correct.

I didn't get any of the others I asked about on my test (we get 25 on the test from the pool of 110 this year)