The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

useful life of our equipment

I was at a clinic recently where it was mentioned that the padding for most chest protectors only lasts for 3 or 4 years. And that they should be replaced at that time.

Given that I've used "the ump" for 10 seasons now, I was wondering if anyone has thoughts or experience with this. Supposedly, it has something to do with the cell padding material breaking down.

Some things clearly wear out as a matter of usage. My Spot-Bilt plate shoes have held up well except there are a few eyelets that have worn out causing laces to break way too soon. And my original Wilson mask with leather pads is probably due to be replaced. Not sure if I want to go with a whole new mask or just pads. I may have to find a store that carries masks to be able to try some on.

I'm on my third set of leg guards and those crap out because of the salt damage around the straps and buckles. Despite trying to wipe them down after games, they still get funky.

Not happy about the upcoming logo change for ASA, but realistically, I'm not sure how many more years I'll be calling.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 03:00pm
High Five Master

Sounds like info passed on from manufacturers to make more money. It's the same thing with a car seat having an expiration.....I don't believe it for a second but it is your kids life so why take a chance right? Same scare tactic here I would think. Foam is deteriorated so you better buy a new one? Give me a break!!!
And I think associations changing logos is more about making guys buy new stuff than any other reason. We all know guys who would never buy a new shirt if not forced to do so.
Ok, rant over
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

The uniform and state organization logos are a money making deal. Not much you can do about it when the governing body requires it. Sometimes it can be a good thing like when we got rid of those horrid ElBecco shirts. When your gear wears out, replace it. Either way it is part of our officiating career. Good thing we get paid big bucks.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I was at a clinic recently where it was mentioned that the padding for most chest protectors only lasts for 3 or 4 years. And that they should be replaced at that time.

Given that I've used "the ump" for 10 seasons now, I was wondering if anyone has thoughts or experience with this. Supposedly, it has something to do with the cell padding material breaking down..

I have a Rawlings ribbed chest protector I bought in the late 60s that was working fine for over 40 years.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 08:56pm
High Five Master

And I don't mind buying new stuff if it is an improvement. The utrip shirts from boombah are the most comfortable ever. I like that change. And I bought new nfhs shirts late last year that I really like as well. Those are smitty I believe