Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
This is the life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1

Did I mention my season fully kicked off tonight? God I love this game!
I had my first game on Saturday, but it was just very routine and boring. Tonight I had two JH games, one girls, one boys. It was just so fun!! I couldn't possibly live on JH only, but this one was really nice. Kids were so sincere, and hard-working. Parents were pleasant and cheerful. Even the coaches were fine. Over all, a great way to start out.

Anyone else care to chime in?
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Had some really really boring girls games at first. Even asked myself why I was doing this. But the past two nights out, (especially tonight) have had great JH boys games. Fast, scrappy, skilled teams who really want to win, Full loud gyms with good fans and coaches. I agree, all JH is not what I want either, but these games were better than a lot of the JV games that I've had. Also had real good partners both nights out. Man I love a good game with a good flow of mechanics and when the gym has that electricity and becomes a blender every whistle late in the game! I can't imagine not doing this!
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 12:26am
M.A.S.H.

Well aside from my comment, my new year's resolution was not to make any mistakes this year. It appears I made my first one tonight! Dang it, maybe next year.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 12:55am
Do not give a damn!!

My first game will be next Monday. I did do a scrimmage this past Saturday and I have another on Friday. I did have one this Friday, but some other games got in the way. I just cannot wait to get started. Next week is going to be crazy. I will have 9 games in a week. It should be fun.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

I had a great JH game last night. Fast moving, up and down action and the game was close the whole way. A great prep for my fisrt varsity game this Saturday. I needed last night's game to get my head straight and prepared. My first official game was a Christian high school tournament game where one team won 113 - 29 and set a new school record. No, they did not even run the score up. He had about 18 players and played them all, did not press, played a loose zone defense, and still continued to score pretty much at will.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

My season actually kicked off last week, and it was my busiest week of the season. That's why I haven't been around as much. So, has anyone else left the forum?

It's good to get going again. My first game was uneventful but fun. The second was was just a butt-ugly game, with 500 or so fouls, and one new partner. Strange stuff happened, and we just didn't look good as a crew. It was good to get out of there. My next one featured two coaches who have been known to get exciteable. Early in the first half, after I had called a travel, I hear one of the coaches say, "Jim, I know that was a travel, but you've called 5 travels on us, and only 1 on them." As I looked up at the scoreboard, I told him, "Dave, do you want me to even up the foul count too?" (It was 4-0 on the other team.) Funny thing, I didn't hear from him the rest of the game...

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I had my first Varsity private school game. Foul shooter had fresh blood on his pant leg. I recognized it. went to bench alerted coach, which by the way was the asst. coach. The head coach got all bent out of shape. He aserted himself to tell me I am the head coach and speak to me. Well, since I already told him about the coaches box which was clearly marked and he was warned to stay in the box. I told him" Coach if you were in the coaches box , I would address you. Since you neglected to listen to my request I will not speak with you." He got all pissy. He was getting loud, since it was my first regular season game, I just didn't want to T him up. At one point I told him, enough and give a replacement player. I walked away and my partner must have heard some comment and whacked him up. he now had to sit for sure and adhere to the coaches box. My crew gave out the first T of the year. It really turned out to be a good game otherwise..
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 02:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
My season actually kicked off last week, and it was my busiest week of the season. That's why I haven't been around as much. So, has anyone else left the forum?

It's good to get going again. My first game was uneventful but fun. The second was was just a butt-ugly game, with 500 or so fouls, and one new partner. Strange stuff happened, and we just didn't look good as a crew. It was good to get out of there. My next one featured two coaches who have been known to get exciteable. Early in the first half, after I had called a travel, I hear one of the coaches say, "Jim, I know that was a travel, but you've called 5 travels on us, and only 1 on them." As I looked up at the scoreboard, I told him, "Dave, do you want me to even up the foul count too?" (It was 4-0 on the other team.) Funny thing, I didn't hear from him the rest of the game...
Nice, real nice. I love it.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 02:26pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_ Fred
He was getting loud, since it was my first regular season game, I just didn't want to T him up...
Why not? How many games do you have to do before you give an earned T? Do players get pass on personal fouls too?

Quote:
At one point I told him, enough and give a replacement player. I walked away and my partner must have heard some comment and whacked him up. he now had to sit for sure and adhere to the coaches box. My crew gave out the first T of the year.
Now you are living in France..."we, we"
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why not? How many games do you have to do before you give an earned T? Do players get pass on personal fouls too?
You know I respect your thoughts. I was giving him one free pass go cards. So my partner bailed me out.. Sorry. I know I should have whacked and whacked him hard..
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 04:05pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
You know I respect your thoughts. I was giving him one free pass go cards. So my partner bailed me out.. Sorry. I know I should have whacked and whacked him hard..
I'm half way playing with you.

Give them what they earn, from start to finish.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Well, we thought you had left but this post certainly spolied that for us!!!!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 04:18pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Well, we thought you had left but this post certainly spolied that for us!!!!

Chuck is still gone.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Anyone else care to chime in?
Had two hours of scrimmages on Saturday morning, girls varsity. To set the stage, there are two gyms, the main gym and an auxillary gym with bleachers on one side that are about 6 benches high. We're in the AUX gym. We're playing 22 minute halves, running clock, FTs on shooting fouls only.

The second hour featured a 4A team that won back to back state championships two years ago and a 2A team that's been to the state finals twice in the past 4 years but didn't win. Being different classifications, these teams never play in the regular season. But from the second we tossed it up, it was ON! The bleachers were full, fans were into it, players were going after it like you wouldn't believe. The Main gym emptied, as everyone but the two teams that were scimmaging in there came to our gym, as they heard all the noise. The atmosphere was unbelievable. It was like a third round playoff. I even had to separate two girls who had squared off.

Good times!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=just another ref]Chuck is still gone.

[QUOTE]

Where's Chuck?