View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

useful life of our equipment

I was at a clinic recently where it was mentioned that the padding for most chest protectors only lasts for 3 or 4 years. And that they should be replaced at that time.

Given that I've used "the ump" for 10 seasons now, I was wondering if anyone has thoughts or experience with this. Supposedly, it has something to do with the cell padding material breaking down.

Some things clearly wear out as a matter of usage. My Spot-Bilt plate shoes have held up well except there are a few eyelets that have worn out causing laces to break way too soon. And my original Wilson mask with leather pads is probably due to be replaced. Not sure if I want to go with a whole new mask or just pads. I may have to find a store that carries masks to be able to try some on.

I'm on my third set of leg guards and those crap out because of the salt damage around the straps and buckles. Despite trying to wipe them down after games, they still get funky.

Not happy about the upcoming logo change for ASA, but realistically, I'm not sure how many more years I'll be calling.