The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 10:58pm
Call it as I see it.

NFHS Catcher-Pitcher conference???

Was working a Semi Final yesterday 3 person Crew. Catcher request time to talk to the Pitcher. R2 asks if she can talk with the base coach I allow it as time is out. The Plate Umpire says no unless they want to use their Offensive conference.
The Plate Umpire is an AUIC for ASA and a college official. During the next half inning U3 (JUCO umpire) and I meet up and I asked him his opinion and he agreed with me allow it.

After the game PU brings it up and says he knows their is no rule forbidding the Offense to confer during the Catcher-Pitcher time out but he does not allow it to speed things up.
I believe college does not allow it but I do not work College at this time.

What are your thoughts on this.

Thanks
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA rule application, not correct and not in his authority to refuse in NFHS (except to charge a conference if the offense delayed restarting the game after the defense was ready).
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Really have to wonder when a uic admits to knowingly applying a non existent rule.
Old Sat May 30, 2015, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Really have to wonder when a uic admits to knowingly applying a non existent rule.
its so mind boggling
Old Sat May 30, 2015, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Not all UICs are actually UICs. There is a difference between title and authority.

In my first NC, a partner claimed to be a UIC (he wasn't the state UIC, so I'm not sure where he was acting as a UIC), and it the pre-game stated that what we were told by the tournament UIC (D Blair) was just a waste of time and steps and we don't really rotate in the 3-umpire mech. Told him since the guy in the tower was doing my evaluation, I was following his (correct) directions on the mechanics to be used.
Old Sat May 30, 2015, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Not all UICs are actually UICs.
I was once the senior umpire at a site and my association's rules interpreter; so I will now make the same claim.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 09:08am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
Was working a Semi Final yesterday 3 person Crew. Catcher request time to talk to the Pitcher. R2 asks if she can talk with the base coach I allow it as time is out. The Plate Umpire says no unless they want to use their Offensive conference.
The Plate Umpire is an AUIC for ASA and a college official. During the next half inning U3 (JUCO umpire) and I meet up and I asked him his opinion and he agreed with me allow it.

After the game PU brings it up and says he knows their is no rule forbidding the Offense to confer during the Catcher-Pitcher time out but he does not allow it to speed things up.
I believe college does not allow it but I do not work College at this time.

What are your thoughts on this.

Thanks
As Steve mentioned, this is a charged offensive conference in NCAA play. Runners must stay on their bases when there is a time out that doesn't involve a charged defensive conference (e.g., a players-only pow-pow in the circle, a plate umpire taking and reporting a substitution, etc.) They can leave their bases when there's an offensive conference, when a new pitcher is warming up, when an injured player is being tended to, or when the umpires are dealing with an ejection or protest.

Frankly, I think the rule is kinda silly. What's the harm if the offense is ready when the plate umpire is ready to resume play? If they're not, THEN charge an offensive conference. It's one of those NCAA rules that I have trouble understanding.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker