The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
college catcher warming up pitcher

I didn't realize until I looked it up, that the NCAA rulebook states that before the game starts if the catcher is warming up the pitcher off the field, or in the bullpen, it is strongly recommended that she wear a catcher's helmet. Good thing I looked it up or I may have went and talked to one of the players. She didn't have any helmet on. Dave
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
I didn't realize until I looked it up, that the NCAA rulebook states that before the game starts if the catcher is warming up the pitcher off the field, or in the bullpen, it is strongly recommended that she wear a catcher's helmet. Good thing I looked it up or I may have went and talked to one of the players. She didn't have any helmet on. Dave
Just out of curiosity, why would you or for that matter, the NCAA care if a player at that level wore a helmet while warming up the pitcher?
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

If they cared, it wouldn't be a recommendation.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Well if they are so called adults, and can make their own decisions, why does the NCAA and us as umpires require them to wear helmets while they are batting? Shouldn't these adults be able to decide if they want to wear them or not? Let them play barefoot if they want. Anything goes. Just because they have moved to the college level doesn't mean everything. Dave
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well if they are so called adults, and can make their own decisions, why does the NCAA and us as umpires require them to wear helmets while they are batting?
Now, that is just a ludicrous comment.

When batting, someone is throwing the ball to the catcher, not the batter. The batter does not have a glove for protection and isn't the one offering the target. Despite not knowing where the ball is supposed to go, the batter is expected to stand her ground and only bail at the very last second if coming at her.

You are comparing a player in complete control of the aspects of a situation to a player who is guessing at best.

Quote:
Shouldn't these adults be able to decide if they want to wear them or not? Let them play barefoot if they want. Anything goes. Just because they have moved to the college level doesn't mean everything. Dave
Obviously, a graduate.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Now, that is just a ludicrous comment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
Old Sat Sep 20, 2008, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

OK Mike I'll give you that. I just don't see how by someone moving on to college softball, they are player in complete control while they are warming up a pitcher, yet when they are not in college they aren't. I guess it is just like not having a jewelry rule in NCAA softball. Dave
Old Sat Sep 20, 2008, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK Mike I'll give you that. I just don't see how by someone moving on to college softball, they are player in complete control while they are warming up a pitcher, yet when they are not in college they aren't. I guess it is just like not having a jewelry rule in NCAA softball. Dave
The college rules are written with the assumption that the players are adults (even if they are not), and without the assumption of in loco parentis (unlike the high schools).

The high school rules, as said above, assume in loco parentis and the high schools and amateur 18U and younger divisions assume the players are minors (even if they are not).

Adult or minor, certain safety equipment, such as batting helmets, is required while engaged in the game.
Old Sat Sep 20, 2008, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just the same as no requirement for masks on batting helmets. Personally, I think the only reason some of the equipment requirements are in place is due to the need of the real brilliant people of our "society" to blame everything on someone other than their own stupidity and the lawyers and judges which buy into that sad excuse for "intelligent" human beings way of thinking. Think about it. Why should it be necessary to mandate a catcher wear a chest protector? Same with a glove/mitt. The NCAA mandates a player wear a glove. However, ASA does not. But who in their right mind would play without a glove?

Did not mean to jump all over you as I know you are not alone in this train of thought, just don't agree with the point that someone needs to protect me from myself.

BTW, anyone know why there is a 2004 ASA Certified bat logo on Page 52 (electronic format) of the 2008 NCAA Softball Playing Rules under the Undershirts/Undershorts part of the Uniform Rule?
Old Sat Sep 20, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Mike maybe I am being naive but I didn't feel you were jumping all over me. I was just trying to figure out some of the nuances of this great game of softball. Dave
Old Sat Sep 20, 2008, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just the same as no requirement for masks on batting helmets. Personally, I think the only reason some of the equipment requirements are in place is due to the need of the real brilliant people of our "society" to blame everything on someone other than their own stupidity and the lawyers and judges which buy into that sad excuse for "intelligent" human beings way of thinking. Think about it. Why should it be necessary to mandate a catcher wear a chest protector? Same with a glove/mitt. The NCAA mandates a player wear a glove. However, ASA does not. But who in their right mind would play without a glove?

Did not mean to jump all over you as I know you are not alone in this train of thought, just don't agree with the point that someone needs to protect me from myself.

BTW, anyone know why there is a 2004 ASA Certified bat logo on Page 52 (electronic format) of the 2008 NCAA Softball Playing Rules under the Undershirts/Undershorts part of the Uniform Rule?
Saw the logo on page 54 electronic, 53 of written book. It does look out of place in both places.
At least they make the rules available online.

Last edited by socalumps; Sat Sep 20, 2008 at 06:42pm.
Old Sat Sep 20, 2008, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalumps View Post
At least they make the rules available online.
Although I believe I know the answer, I must ask: What's your point?
Old Sat Sep 20, 2008, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Although I believe I know the answer, I must ask: What's your point?

What was yours?
Old Sat Sep 20, 2008, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalumps View Post

What was yours?
Let me know when you decide to answer the question. Otherwise, I'm done with this one.
Old Sat Sep 20, 2008, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, what was your point?