The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Is it safe to assume officials have no responsibility for players outside of the fenced playing area? Including If an official knows a player is warming up a relief or even starting pitcher without a helmet in the traditional catchers squat?

[Edited by garobe on May 6th, 2005 at 11:51 PM]
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

No, that is not a safe assumption in ASA. If you can see it, and allow it, you could be liable for the results in a courtroom.

Both NFHS and NCAA specify "on the field". Personally, I insist that high school catchers wear the mask within my vision, regardless; coaches and parents are generally that we can't mandate it. I think most coaches would be astonished to know they can be held liable for an injury resulting from their lax supervision; most thank me for reminding their catchers.
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Catcher's warming up without a helmet

I agree, While I acknowledge NFHS authority I also know that a jury would likely find negligence if an umpire knowingly allows a catcher to work in the squat without a mask and the catcher is injured. Some senior officials in my association feel very strongly that whatever happens before "play ball" and outside the fence is none of our business. As a three sport official and someone who deals with liability issues daily I think this is a unreasonable position. To assume that because the Federation or a High School Association has taken a position that this will automatically protect me from a negligence claim is dangerous. I find this position contrary to other positions the Federation has taken in this and other sports.
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 12:54am
Never Stop Learning

Two people have mentioned that the catcher has to be squating for it to be mandatory to wear the mask. I beg to differ, all it says is if they are warming up a pitcher. I make them put them on whenever I see them warming up a pitcher period. I don't care where they are and have never had a coach that had a problem with it.
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Re: Catcher's warming up without a helmet

Quote:
Originally posted by garobe
I agree, While I acknowledge NFHS authority I also know that a jury would likely find negligence if an umpire knowingly allows a catcher to work in the squat without a mask and the catcher is injured. Some senior officials in my association feel very strongly that whatever happens before "play ball" and outside the fence is none of our business. As a three sport official and someone who deals with liability issues daily I think this is a unreasonable position. To assume that because the Federation or a High School Association has taken a position that this will automatically protect me from a negligence claim is dangerous. I find this position contrary to other positions the Federation has taken in this and other sports.
You cannot compare HS to other organizations. Theoretically, a high school game is on high school time. This means that the high school still has full responsibility for the student.

The same cannot be said of other organizations.
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Re: Re: Catcher's warming up without a helmet

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by garobe
You cannot compare HS to other organizations. Theoretically, a high school game is on high school time. This means that the high school still has full responsibility for the student.

The same cannot be said of other organizations.
We are always taught that ANYthing that happens on or around a field is your responsibility once you are present at a site-you have been assigned by the school (directly or indirectly) to be the supervisor at that particular event;and as that supervisor you are responsible.Our association has had that confirmed by more than one lawyer...
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Catcher's warming up without a helmet

Quote:
Originally posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE

We are always taught that ANYthing that happens on or around a field is your responsibility once you are present at a site-you have been assigned by the school (directly or indirectly) to be the supervisor at that particular event;and as that supervisor you are responsible.Our association has had that confirmed by more than one lawyer...
I'm afraid I would have to disagree with that. You are not a teacher or school administrator.

The parents do NOT entrust their children to the umpire independently contracted to umpire a ball game. They entrust them to the school district and admin.