The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 13, 2015, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

loud speaker intros

We have a high school team that has started using a loud speaker to announce players and play their "intro" music. When they started a couple of games ago I told them it had to be equal for each side or it couldn't be done at all. They complied and both sides have been satisfied.

But now I wonder what would be he protocol if a visiting team didn't want to participate. Or didn't want to hear anything at all. A few years ago I seem to recall Fed using a Point of Emphasis to state the equality that was needed on both sides. But I don't really see any specific rule addressing the situation. We have an out of town team coming in for a playoff game and I'm just thinking of the possibilities. Ideas?
Old Wed May 13, 2015, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
We have a high school team that has started using a loud speaker to announce players and play their "intro" music. When they started a couple of games ago I told them it had to be equal for each side or it couldn't be done at all. They complied and both sides have been satisfied.

But now I wonder what would be he protocol if a visiting team didn't want to participate. Or didn't want to hear anything at all. A few years ago I seem to recall Fed using a Point of Emphasis to state the equality that was needed on both sides. But I don't really see any specific rule addressing the situation. We have an out of town team coming in for a playoff game and I'm just thinking of the possibilities. Ideas?
One of the advantages to being the home team. IMO, pick your battles more wisely.
Old Thu May 14, 2015, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

I umpire the game on the field. PA announcements, music selection, etc. are things best left to the schools staff. If visiting team has issue they should address it thru the proper channels at the states high school athletic association. None of it is really something the game official should deal with.

Most states high school athletic associations have codes that deal with all the administrative part of holding playoff games.
Old Thu May 14, 2015, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
I umpire the game on the field. PA announcements, music selection, etc. are things best left to the schools staff. If visiting team has issue they should address it thru the proper channels at the states high school athletic association. None of it is really something the game official should deal with.

Most states high school athletic associations have codes that deal with all the administrative part of holding playoff games.
Agreed. Umpires only have jurisdiction over the confines of the field and designated warm up areas visible from the field. This does not include the PA announcer's table, equipment, or the use thereof (unless it disrupts the game).
Old Thu May 14, 2015, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Proactive. Just being proactive. I do know that tomorrow the home playoff team will be jamming at every possible opportunity. And there won't be an administrator anywhere in sight. I'll make the call, just wondering if anyone ever had a complaint from the other side.
Old Thu May 14, 2015, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Leave it alone unless they are using it to intimidate or degrade the opposing team.
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

This happens in virtually every college and pro event. Leave it alone.

What prohibits it? It adds to the game. Don't take that away. I would say you made the situation worse by making them do something for the visitors.
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

I don't disagree with any of you that say leave it alone! To me it's in the same boat as hairbows and ribbon color! But I enforce the rules as written, don't like them all but enforce them. For those that want the reference it was a point of emphasis in the NFHS 2011 rule book.

The 2011 NFHS Softball Rulebook Points of Emphasis is as Follows:

SPORTSMANSHIP. The NFHS disapproves of any form of behavior intended or designed to embarrass, ridicule or demean others. There have been instances noted nationally of the Public Address (PA) system being utilized to intimidate or “taunt” the visiting team by playing negative sound effects when specific opponents come to bat or the playing of “motivational” music only for the home team. When the PA system is used for announcements, introductions, sound effects, music, etc., the presentation should be as neutral as possible. Clear guidelines and expectations should be developed by school administrators and shared with the individuals serving in this capacity so presentations are not viewed as acts of intimidation.
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And there won't be an administrator anywhere in sight.
Are you allowed to start the game without an administrator present?
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsumpntx View Post
Wholeheartedly agree. Playoff game without an on-site administrator is not starting. At least in Texas.

Usually in playoffs, we have an on-site for each team.
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
...The 2011 NFHS Softball Rulebook Points of Emphasis is as Follows:

SPORTSMANSHIP. The NFHS disapproves of any form of behavior intended or designed to embarrass, ridicule or demean others. There have been instances noted nationally of the Public Address (PA) system being utilized to intimidate or “taunt” the visiting team by playing negative sound effects when specific opponents come to bat or the playing of “motivational” music only for the home team. When the PA system is used for announcements, introductions, sound effects, music, etc., the presentation should be as neutral as possible. Clear guidelines and expectations should be developed by school administrators and shared with the individuals serving in this capacity so presentations are not viewed as acts of intimidation.
First underlined part: it is a stretch (IMO) to define motivational music for the home team (I assume they mean something like walk-up music) to be "intended to embarrass, ridicule or demean others."

Second underlined part: it ain't my problem anyway, unless it does cross a boundary where it is (in my judgment) intended as a taunt or the like.
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Esq said...
Quote:
This happens in virtually every college and pro event. Leave it alone

This isn't college. This isn't pro. This is a game that is the extension of the high school day.

dlsumpntx asked...
Quote:
nopachunts said...
Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree. Playoff game without an on-site administrator is not starting. At least in Texas
If I waited for an administrator to show up at the field, we wouldn't be playing the game. There probably is one in the school somewhere, but they never make an appearance at the field.
Old Sat May 16, 2015, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Esq said....

This isn't college. This isn't pro. This is a game that is the extension of the high school day.

dlsumpntx asked...
nopachunts said...

If I waited for an administrator to show up at the field, we wouldn't be playing the game. There probably is one in the school somewhere, but they never make an appearance at the field.
Don't start the game. They will get the message. I did a playoff game tonight and had an administrator from each team on-hand.
Old Sat May 16, 2015, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Don't get involved with things that don't need involvement. NFHS goes to great lengths in prohibiting all sorts of things that no one else would ever really care about. If they wanted this prohibited, they would say so.

What you are doing is removing a greater sense of excitement (regardless of whether it is deserving) from the environment.

Note 1: A team bitching and moaning about something doesn't make it illegal.

Note 2: Not everything has to be equal for the home and visiting teams.

Note 3: Don't pick boogers. You may end up getting a wet one on your finger that you can't flick off.