The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Dealing with DDs

Earlier in the game, I (PU) overhear 3B coach telling his runner on 3B "don't give me the attitude, during the game I'm your coach, not your dad, and I'll sit you if you don't knock it off." This runner was a sub for a starter.

Later, with starter back in the game, coach announces he's re-entering DD (not his exact words). I repeat the numbers to him, show him what I'm marking down, and he verifies.

As I walk away, I hear behind me,
"What's with the face? Forget it, you're sitting. Blue, cancel that sub."
"Sorry, coach, it's reported, and official."

No other subs available, by the way...

Much arguing ensues (not with me)... I enjoy it immensely.

Overofficiating? I think not.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

What rule set? NFHS changed the rule a couple of years ago that subs are not official until reported and the ball is put back into play.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
What rule set? NFHS changed the rule a couple of years ago that subs are not official until reported and the ball is put back into play.
And takes her position.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

And reported to the other team's head coach.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Pony
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
... I enjoy it immensely...
Having raised 2 daughters, I have to ask... why?
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

... as have I, Tom, and I greatly enjoyed their stubbornness when being coached by their mom in their youth.
Used to be frustrating. Now it's just amusing.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... as have I, Tom, and I greatly enjoyed their stubbornness when being coached by their mom in their youth.
Gotcha... but maybe you have a streak of evil in you?
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are cruel man. A very cruel man.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 01:03pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Where does it say that? The only thing I can find about a sub becoming official when the ball is put in play is for an unreported substitute. AFAIC, a reported substitution becomes official when I write it down in my line-up card and verify the change with the head coach who made it.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Where does it say that? The only thing I can find about a sub becoming official when the ball is put in play is for an unreported substitute. AFAIC, a reported substitution becomes official when I write it down in my line-up card and verify the change with the head coach who made it.
Well, the Fed rule is worded rather curiously...

Quote:
ART. 3 . . . The plate umpire shall record all substitutions on the lineup card and then announce immediately any change(s) to the opposing team’s head coach. Projected substitutions are not permitted. If there is no announcement of substitutions, a substitute has entered the game when:

a. a runner takes the place of a runner she has replaced.

b. a pitcher takes her place on the pitcher's plate.

c. a fielder reaches the position usually occupied by the fielder she has replaced.

d. a batter takes her place in the batter's box.

e. and, in each of the above situations, when the ball is declared live by the plate umpire.
Note the underlined part. If the OP had not yet announced the sub to the opposing coach, and the fielder had not yet taken the field... well, was the substitution official? Apparently not.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 01:59pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Well, the Fed rule is worded rather curiously...

Note the underlined part. If the OP had not yet announced the sub to the opposing coach, and the fielder had not yet taken the field... well, was the substitution official? Apparently not.
Okay, I've always assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the word "announce" included what the coach does to report a substitution to the plate umpire.

Playing Devil's Advocate, however: Don't we always say that what is written in the plate umpire's line-up card is official should there be a dispute between the scorebook and the card? So shouldn't that mean that a change is consummated when it's written down and verified by the coach making the change?

I don't necessarily buy the argument that a substitution is not official until the announcement is made to the opposing head coach. That sets different standards when the coach who initially made the substitution can change his/her mind. If the head coach is acting as third base coach, and he/she gives me a batting order change near the third-base dugout that is occupied by the opposing team, I can make that change official a lot quicker than I can make a change official if I have to walk over to the first-base dugout if that's the one belonging to the other team.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Okay, I've always assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the word "announce" included what the coach does to report a substitution to the plate umpire.

Playing Devil's Advocate, however: Don't we always say that what is written in the plate umpire's line-up card is official should there be a dispute between the scorebook and the card? So shouldn't that mean that a change is consummated when it's written down and verified by the coach making the change?

I don't necessarily buy the argument that a substitution is not official until the announcement is made to the opposing head coach. That sets different standards when the coach who initially made the substitution can change his/her mind. If the head coach is acting as third base coach, and he/she gives me a batting order change near the third-base dugout that is occupied by the opposing team, I can make that change official a lot quicker than I can make a change official if I have to walk over to the first-base dugout if that's the one belonging to the other team.
Well, count me as among those who considered a reported sub to be official when it has been reported to the PU and recorded on his lineup.

But, going back to read a rule is sometimes a good thing!

Anyway, it also does say the sub should be reported "immediately." The wording is curious because it implies a case where the sub is never announced, but does it also imply a 2-step process: 1) report to the PU, and 2) PU announces.

I keep thinking that I am over-thinking...
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Well, count me as among those who considered a reported sub to be official when it has been reported to the PU and recorded on his lineup.

But, going back to read a rule is sometimes a good thing!

Anyway, it also does say the sub should be reported "immediately." The wording is curious because it implies a case where the sub is never announced, but does it also imply a 2-step process: 1) report to the PU, and 2) PU announces.

I keep thinking that I am over-thinking...
I think the rule is written curiously because it covers all possible situations: a change where the PU does his job and announces to the opponent (at which point the change is official) AND when the PU brain-farts on announcing the change (sub NOT official until PU points the ball back into play).

On a side note, I am not a baseball guy and I hated the Fed softball mechanic of pointing the ball into play. Mostly, because I forget to do it. I dislike it a little less now that I see there is actually a rule where it makes sense AND covers my backside.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
"pointing the ball into play" Is this still used?