The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 08, 2015, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I truly don't appreciate you calling my explanation of what I've been told the rule is meant to cover, "Bullshit". That's beneath you.
I didn't. I was referring to your alteration of the discussion.

Quote:
Not one of us? Didn't you just quote me discussing that rule? Didn't I mention that particular rule very early in this conversation? Didn't I invite you, specifically, to explain to us why you would apply that specific rule to this case?

What's with the belligerence on this thread, sir?
I don't like wasting teaching moments. The rule was changed and as much as 8.7.Q has been mentioned on other threads on this and other boards, not once have I seen this change mentioned. So I decided to push a few buttons to get a conversation about it going. I went out of my way to lock the scenario so tight there was no room for multiple conclusions. Yet, there were and achieved by basically ignoring the parameters of the play to suit a predetermined response.

It is a frustration of many in clinics, schools and social media outlets. How can anyone know what is or is not when there is so much static and people looking for loopholes in a rule that the original question is contorted almost to the point of obliteration?
Old Fri May 08, 2015, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Aha! I knew there had to be something behind you posting that situation!

Unfortunately, I don't have a 2015 book, only a 2014, so your repeated insistence on reading the rule left me a bit mystified.
You mean you didn't rush out and buy the app for your phone?

P.S., While I understand they want to sell books and apps, a non-published change can throw a lot of people off. Then again, maybe this was a watermark to see who was copying it
Old Fri May 08, 2015, 12:43pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I didn't. I was referring to your alteration of the discussion.

I don't like wasting teaching moments. The rule was changed and as much as 8.7.Q has been mentioned on other threads on this and other boards, not once have I seen this change mentioned. So I decided to push a few buttons to get a conversation about it going. I went out of my way to lock the scenario so tight there was no room for multiple conclusions. Yet, there were and achieved by basically ignoring the parameters of the play to suit a predetermined response.

It is a frustration of many in clinics, schools and social media outlets. How can anyone know what is or is not when there is so much static and people looking for loopholes in a rule that the original question is contorted almost to the point of obliteration?
For the record, I wasn't looking for a loophole to allow the runner to be free of any interference call here. He/she needs to be ruled out, and I was looking for something to support it.

As for 8-7-Q, I did want to use that, but I always believed (perhaps wrongly) that this specific rule was meant to deal with the situation that RS#13 expands upon, and that's when the fielder is waiting to make a tag. That's why I was looking for some alternative involving a deflected ball.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri May 08, 2015, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
You mean you didn't rush out and buy the app for your phone? ...
Heh! No.
Old Sat May 09, 2015, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
For the record, I wasn't looking for a loophole to allow the runner to be free of any interference call here. He/she needs to be ruled out, and I was looking for something to support it.

As for 8-7-Q, I did want to use that, but I always believed (perhaps wrongly) that this specific rule was meant to deal with the situation that RS#13 expands upon, and that's when the fielder is waiting to make a tag. That's why I was looking for some alternative involving a deflected ball.
Manny, that is the point. The rule DOES support it.

AFA the effect, since I'm being told the app version does not include this change, I would have to agree with others that this is an editorial error. That being the case, it has been two months since the first rules clarification for 2015 has been published. By this time last year, there were already four published and I'm sort of surprised it has not been addressed by now