The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 31, 2015, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

offensive coach requests illegal pitch enforcement

This was the discussion I had with my base umpire between innings in a high school varsity game yesterday: Question: "Are you seeing a crow hop or leap by the pitcher"; Answer: "Yes, but the base coach has not said anything about it, and I'm not calling it until she says something".

Where in the rules book does it say that we only call illegal pitches after an offensive coach has requested it? I've heard it said in many umpire meetings that we don't want to put any "doo doo" in the game, so if the base coach does not bring it to your attention, don't call the illegal pitch.

Is this a common practice in all areas? I know when playoffs begin, illegal pitches begin to be called. In my opinion, this is unfair to the young ladies who have been pitching a certain way all season, and now, when the games are the most important, we are calling these same pitching motions illegal.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2015, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodibuck View Post
Is this a common practice in all areas?
This is not a common practice in any area that I have worked in. Shouldn't be a common (or even uncommon) practice any where.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2015, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

I've never heard of only enforcing the rules upon request ?
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to falsecut Send a message via AIM to falsecut Send a message via Yahoo to falsecut
So the logic is: Calling illegal pitches invites conflicts with coaches. If you avoid the conflict by not calling it, then so much the better for you. But if the offense is smart enough to notice it, then you may as well call it since you already have conflict.

That's totally a lousy way to umpire but such is the state of things sometimes.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In my opinion, this is unfair to the young ladies who have been pitching a certain way all season, and now, when the games are the most important, we are calling these same pitching motions illegal.
This is why I call things early and often. If they fix the problem in March (or even better...in 7th grade) then I don't have to deal with it in May.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

I work high school varsity and college. You need to start calling them right away in the first inning if illegal. You will be amazed how quickly the pitcher can become legal once they know you will call it.

A few years ago at the state tournament, I got a girl on the first pitch of the game. I had noticed in warm ups that she was illegal every time. The coach walked out after the illegal pitch and said it was the first time she had been called all year. I responded "that's nice--it will be called today". She was never illegal after that pitch.

Found out later that the coach wasn't quite honest with me. It was a common occurrence with that pitcher and once called she would always be good.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I hope this is not too bad a hijack, but it looks finished.

Should a PU call a crow hop which looks obvious to him/her; when the BU says it looks legal to him/her?
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
...Should a PU call a crow hop which looks obvious to him/her; when the BU says it looks legal to him/her?
So, they have observed the pitcher's actions, have discussed them, and disagree on the legality of the actions.

You're asking if the umpire who has the worst view and is unable to give it his full attention should call it anyway, even though his partner, whose call it really is, says it is legal?

Is that your question?

Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

An umpires job is to enforce the rules of the game. A coach should not have to ask us to perform our duties.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
So, they have observed the pitcher's actions, have discussed them, and disagree on the legality of the actions.

You're asking if the umpire who has the worst view and is unable to give it his full attention should call it anyway, even though his partner, whose call it really is, says it is legal?

Is that your question?

Unfortunately. And blatant to the PU's thinking.
And given that an umpires job is to enforce the rules of the game and a prior topic discussed that a BU should call "hands violations" even if he/she only has a clear view from B or C.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
An umpires job is to enforce the rules of the game. A coach should not have to ask us to perform our duties.
Amen!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
This is why I call things early and often. If they fix the problem in March (or even better...in 7th grade) then I don't have to deal with it in May.
End of thread...right here...nothing further needed to be said. Fix it NOW, so it is not a pain in the azz later....
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Unfortunately. And blatant to the PU's thinking.
And given that an umpires job is to enforce the rules of the game and a prior topic discussed that a BU should call "hands violations" even if he/she only has a clear view from B or C.
But the earlier context was the assumption that the PU was not paying attention to the hands violation (or didn't know the rule, perhaps), not that he knew the rule, was watching, and believed the pitcher was legal under the rules.

In both cases, if the partners get together and discuss the actions by the pitcher, and the umpire whose responsibility is primary on the call (hands for PU, crow hop for BU) states that he has seen the action and judges it to be legal, then that changes things, doesn't it? If the "secondary" partner makes the call anyway after the discussion, that just seems wrong to me.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This was the discussion I had with my base umpire between innings in a high school varsity game yesterday: Question: "Are you seeing a crow hop or leap by the pitcher"; Answer: "Yes, but the base coach has not said anything about it, and I'm not calling it until she says something".

Where in the rules book does it say that we only call illegal pitches after an offensive coach has requested it? I've heard it said in many umpire meetings that we don't want to put any "doo doo" in the game, so if the base coach does not bring it to your attention, don't call the illegal pitch.

Is this a common practice in all areas? I know when playoffs begin, illegal pitches begin to be called. In my opinion, this is unfair to the young ladies who have been pitching a certain way all season, and now, when the games are the most important, we are calling these same pitching motions illegal.
If a coach has a pitcher that does the same thing there won't be a request to enforce the rule.
Old Thu Apr 09, 2015, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

Meh... I personally don't call strikes or outs unless I'm specifically requested to do so...it's all personal preference of what you feel like calling on the day, I suppose.