Thread: Double Duty?
View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mo99
I have been umpiring fastpitch softball for about 15 years now and have been considering doing some baseball as well.I have progressed through the ranks and now do mainly higher level ball in three codes.(NFHS,NCAA,ASA)I passed my NFHS baseball test last year,but have umpired strictly softball games.My question to this forum is do many of you guys/gals umpire both softball and baseball.Other than the rule differences,is there any complications switching back and forth? My main concern is being able to call a consistant strike zone when doing both.I developed a very good,consistant zone in fastpitch softball and dont want to disrupt that groove,if you will.Any thoughts either way will be greatly appreciated.I am considering doing about 75% Softball and 25% Baseball at this point.I absolutely love the game of Softball,but have always had that itch for baseball since my high school playing days.Thanks.

Jeff
I began umpiring baseball in 1966 at the ripe age of 14. I worked a lot of baseball until about 1975 when I moved to FL. My job didn't permit any regular type of schedule, but I would work some scrimmages and practice games at the lower college levels. It didn't mean that much to me because it was no different than working high school ball.
Over the years, I picked-up a game here or there, but got so tired of the long, drawn out games and dealing with the BS the Billy Martin wannabes threw at the umpires, I said the hell with it and moved over to ASA.

I prefer SP because I like a game with some action. I work FP, but only when necessary.

As I stated before, of the umpires I know which work both, many treat softball, the mechanics and rules as an afterthought to their baseball game. I've seen regular baseball umpires basically mock softball folks as not being a "real" umpire because they don't work the real game. One of those is the gentleman who is instrumental in the maintenance of this site, Carl Childress.

So, I pretty much stay clear of a game I no longer can stand to watch, let alone umpire. When I do watch a baseball game, I am more often watching the officiating than the players.

So, it's obviously your decision, but remember, you will still be finishing up your single game on one field while the SP softball guys will have finished two for just about the same amount of money and enjoying that alternative adult beverage when you are just getting to the end of the 7th inning.