The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bluejay Send a message via Yahoo to bluejay
Rules interpreter?

fdt92, can you say who wrote that interpretation?
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejay View Post
Willing to bet the initials are WS.

The "time" recommendation mirrors the ASA case play ruling from KR; again with no real rules support.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejay View Post
Joe Brown is the state rule interpreter.
http://www.taso.org/chapter-directory/softball
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Thought so

I thought he was the interpreter for TASO.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 02:50pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Much simpler to just call "BALL THREE!" as the batter takes off, and then let things play out. If F2 is still fooled into allowing the runner to advance to second without a throw, oh well. As for the batter, give her the benefit of the doubt that she lost count. If it happens again, then it's probably time for a warning for the head coach to knock it off.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdt92 View Post
Joe Brown is the state rule interpreter.
http://www.taso.org/chapter-directory/softball
My bad. WS is the official state rule interpreter for UIL, which is the state organization; TASO is, as best I recall the story, the remnants of the organization UIL pretty much ran out of business.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Lone Star High School Umpire Association

Lone Star is the group of that was previously aligned with UIL. It is a softball only association where TASO represents all sports and including some softball areas. Walt is our rules interpreter.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Much simpler to just call "BALL THREE!" as the batter takes off, and then let things play out. If F2 is still fooled into allowing the runner to advance to second without a throw, oh well. As for the batter, give her the benefit of the doubt that she lost count. If it happens again, then it's probably time for a warning for the head coach to knock it off.
Manny, I agree with adding, "Batter, in the box, please" to the end of that call. At that point, the clock starts on being prepared for the next pitch.

AFA the TASO comment, just using the word trickery in defending the ruling makes me question it.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Manny, I agree with adding, "Batter, in the box, please" to the end of that call. At that point, the clock starts on being prepared for the next pitch.

AFA the TASO comment, just using the word trickery in defending the ruling makes me question it.
"Batter, in the box, please." Like it. Might be easier in ASA (batter must be in the box within 10 seconds of being directed) than FED (within 10 seconds of the pitcher receiving the ball, catcher in position).
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

If there were no runners on, maybe, but the batter wouldn't pull that stunt then anyway.

If the whole purpose of her act is to advance her runners, through deception or whatever, F2 is likely throwing the ball to 3B or 2B or cocking back to fire it somewhere while she thinks it out...
Is the 10-second clock really running at that point?

Last edited by jmkupka; Tue Feb 24, 2015 at 08:19am.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
If there were no runners on, maybe, but the batter wouldn't pull that stunt then anyway.

If the whole purpose of her act is to advance her runners, through deception or whatever, F2 is likely throwing the ball to 3B or 2B or cocking back to fire it somewhere while she thinks it out...
Is the 10-second clock really running at that point?
If she left the box when not permitted, it doesn't take that long. No, if there is an on-going play, the clock does not start at that point, but the direction of the umpire is another indicator she is not a BR.

Along the train of thought of killing the ball, what are you going to do when a catcher who is on the ball guns out one of the advancing runners? Is it fair to take away the defense's opportunity to retire an active runner?
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely not fair to deny defense a chance for an out.
What I have had happen on more than one occasion is, batter heads up the line on ball 3 (mistakenly), runners from 1B & 2B hesitantly leave for the next base ("wasn't that ball 3? no? ok..."), and are thrown out by a mile (if F2 is on her toes).

If they all leave like they're entitled to do so, then we as umps know it's likely a ploy; still no reason to kill the ball, but I would guess a good time to tell the coach to cut the crap.

Last edited by jmkupka; Tue Feb 24, 2015 at 03:27pm.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

90% of the time, if you simply state Ball 3, while catcher has the ball, they are going to clue in and throw out the runner. That will put a VERY quick stop to this stupid strategy.

West Houston Mike
Old Sun Mar 01, 2015, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

ASA 8-7-P cant apply to BR running on Ball 3 as this rule is for "runners who have scored or been put out". This offensive player is still just a batter, and has not committed INT simply by not knowing the count and running on ball three, shame on F2 for attempting to throw out the batter (not a runner or batter-runner) at 2B.

The defense has to know the count and the situation. As others have stated I will announce "That was ball three!" if I see batter run on ball three but unless i do it so forcefully as to bring play to a stop more often than not these announcements usually go unnoticed. I would not have INT here absent some other obvious action by the count confused batter such as her kicking the ball away from a defensive player or some such.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2015, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Willing to bet the initials are WS.

The "time" recommendation mirrors the ASA case play ruling from KR; again with no real rules support.
WS is the state interpreter for Lone Star High School Softball Officials organization.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.