The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 31, 2014, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
local rules

How about this one?
We will play 1:20min drop dead with 10min break. Game every 1:30min

After the team reaches mercy rule runs differential, the winning team will end the inning and will be allow to bat only 5 batters until runs differential is no longer subject to the mercy rule.
Old Sun Aug 31, 2014, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
How about this one?

After the team reaches mercy rule runs differential, the winning team will end the inning and will be allow to bat only 5 batters until runs differential is no longer subject to the mercy rule.
Just another ill-advised local rule that will just screw up the game and perpetuate the ignorance of those playing the game.
Old Sun Aug 31, 2014, 11:50am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Why not just end the game once the run differential rule kicks in?

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Aug 31, 2014, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

So there is really no mercy rule. What's to stop the team that's losing, to walk 5 batters
Old Sun Aug 31, 2014, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck chopper View Post
So there is really no mercy rule. What's to stop the team that's losing, to walk 5 batters
It adds 2 runs to the winning team's total and makes it harder to catch up.
Old Mon Sep 01, 2014, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
How about this one?

Do you even understand the "will end the inning and will be allow to bat only 5 batters " part?
Old Mon Sep 01, 2014, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

One year my kids little league decided to institute the 5 run per inning rule (8 with continuation of play), but with a twist. A team could only score 5 per inning, unless they were behind. Then they could score up to the score of the team ahead, plus 5 runs.
Old Mon Sep 01, 2014, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you even understand the "will end the inning and will be allow to bat only 5 batters " part?
Yep.

As soon as the run limit is reached (say 10) the inning is over without regard to the number of outs.

After that the leading team can bat no more than 5 in its half inning (inning then ends) unless the other team closes the gap.
Old Mon Sep 01, 2014, 10:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
One year my kids little league decided to institute the 5 run per inning rule (8 with continuation of play), but with a twist. A team could only score 5 per inning, unless they were behind. Then they could score up to the score of the team ahead, plus 5 runs.
So if I'm the home team and the visitors score 5 in the top of the first, then I can score 10 in the bottom?

I had a league try to do something like this (not quite identical, but similar) when I was coaching. I think the words, "Do you realize how idiotic this is?" came out of my mouth.
Old Mon Sep 01, 2014, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
So if I'm the home team and the visitors score 5 in the top of the first, then I can score 10 in the bottom?

I had a league try to do something like this (not quite identical, but similar) when I was coaching. I think the words, "Do you realize how idiotic this is?" came out of my mouth.
Thats exactly what they did, and those were about the same words I had for them when they did it.
Old Mon Sep 01, 2014, 10:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Thats exactly what they did, and those were about the same words I had for them when they did it.
And that's after the visiting team may have scored 34, but for the rule that they could only score 5. Amazing people continued to argue that it was a good rule.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2014, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

In the parents head, its a good rule to let the kids keep playing. For the rest of the world, its pure misery except to those hoverparents.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2014, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
In the parents head, its a good rule to let the kids keep playing. For the rest of the world, its pure misery except to those hoverparents.
Not a problem, kids can play all they want. Doesn't mean the umpire has to stay on the field
Old Thu Sep 04, 2014, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Still a misery for all involved still left. Can all but guarantee the kids playing on the mercies team don't want to be there anymore than they were after the first pitch.
Old Fri Sep 05, 2014, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Our league isn't that bad. We still have a 5 per inning rule, but the only exception to this rule is the last scheduled inning (not the last inning due to a time limit).

I had a game once where the teams had no problem scoring. We get to the 6th inning with is 23-19. Home team behind. Visiting team scores 7 runs to go up 30-19. Final score 31-30. The last inning took 55 minutes to play, while the rest of the game had taken an hour and 50 minutes.