The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

In a recent conversation with a buddy that runs a church league in Dearborn Michigan (world HQ Ford Motor) he said they play "Ford Rules" I asked what that was, and it was awarding points on shooting fouls instead of shooting free throws. Not particularly uncommon in rec style ball, and I asked why it was called "Ford Rules" he said that is the way the Ford Company recreation leagues play, so that is how they play.

It left me thinking about unique rules, customs or oddities in different areas. I thought of a couple:

* Years ago in talking with a scout who watched Detroit Public School League players he said all outside shooters from the PSL had flat shots. I asked why, he said (at that time) many Detroit High School gyms all had running tracks suspended over the court, so if they dribbled down into the corner their shots would hit the track if they put a high arc on it. Not sure if that was an urban legend, but that is what they guy told me.

* A local Church youth league has a great end of the year tourney, they get all teams in the gym on a Sat morning, then play a round robin round where every team plays every other team in mini games, usually 6 minutes. They then seat top 4 teams and do a semi-final round (6 minute quarters) and then a final, full length championship game. It is a lot of fun getting everyone in the gym at once and playing everyone else.

What are some other local rules, customs or oddities that you have run across...
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

I see a lot of different rules in summer camp games similar to what you experienced. Running clock, except for the last minute of the half or game. Shooting fouls count as 1 point, then the non-shooting team takes the ball out. Or sometimes you only shoot free throws after the 7th team foul. It seems like the idea is to fit more basketball into as little time as possible by eliminating some of the "dead time" of free throw shooting. (Of course, I think the de-emphasizing of free throws has a lot to do with contributing to kids not working on FT's, and therefore the percentages going down over the years, but that's a whole other discussion.) I can see rec leagues doing these kinds of things as well.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rotationslim

It left me thinking about unique rules, customs or oddities in different areas. I thought of a couple:

* Years ago in talking with a scout who watched Detroit Public School League players he said all outside shooters from the PSL had flat shots. I asked why, he said (at that time) many Detroit High School gyms all had running tracks suspended over the court, so if they dribbled down into the corner their shots would hit the track if they put a high arc on it. Not sure if that was an urban legend, but that is what they guy told me.

I believe it.

In addition, I think the flattening of shots, and the trend toward shooting harder with stronger rotation, is the result of outdoor ball. I mean, you can't adjust the shot for windage, so you power through the wind and give the ball a strong gyroscopic center . . .
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:

I believe it.

In addition, I think the flattening of shots, and the trend toward shooting harder with stronger rotation, is the result of outdoor ball. I mean, you can't adjust the shot for windage, so you power through the wind and give the ball a strong gyroscopic center . . .

Wow. Whatever. Way too scientific for me. How about this one--Green Bay area tournament. Instead of a timed OT, the first team to score 3 points in OT wins.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Quote:
Quote:

I believe it.

Wow. Whatever. Way too scientific for me. How about this one--Green Bay area tournament. Instead of a timed OT, the first team to score 3 points in OT wins.
"Wow. Whatever. Way too scientific for me."

At least you know what gratuitous means.

Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I like the points instead of FT's rule. In a summer league, with a running clock, it helps with self-esteem since the scores are quite a bit higher, and it also encourages cleaner defense. My daughter learned a lot playing in a league like that, and it was great for the kids to learn to minimize contact. It also gave them a good conditioning work-out since they never got to rest during the FT's.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 05:32am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

In my local association, the men's leagues games have a couple of changes that we like:

• 1 FT for as many pts as it's worth

• - 1 if FGA goes in, worth 1
    - 1 if FGA doesn't goes in, worth 2 or 3
    - 1 for INT, T or F, worth 2

• new team A can inbounds in their BC without ref touching

• - but from the sideline only and can't migrate up the sideline, they still must abide by the throw-in restrictions

• games are 2 x 25min running time

• Games are over in an hour; it's pretty good.
    Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 10:48am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally posted by mplagrow
    Quote:
    Quote:

I believe it.

"Wow. Whatever. Way too scientific for me."

At least you know what gratuitous means.

Gratuitous? Yeah, it's got something to do with nudity, right?
    Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 10:54am
    Official Forum Member

This is an interesting topic..

>new team A can inbounds in their BC without ref touching
    >- but from the sideline only and can't migrate up the >sideline, they still must abide by the throw-in >restrictions

Explain above to me.. why is this done, with a running clock it wouldn't save time.. is it to lessen the ref's running around.. or is it to just never give the players a chance to get their breath?

Just looking to understand the theory behind it.
    Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 11:06am
    In Memoriam

Re: This is an interesting topic..

Quote:
    >new team A can inbounds in their BC without ref touching
    >- but from the sideline only and can't migrate up the >sideline, they still must abide by the throw-in >restrictions

Explain above to me.. why is this done, with a running clock it wouldn't save time.. is it to lessen the ref's running around.. or is it to just never give the players a chance to get their breath?

Just looking to understand the theory behind it.
    It's to allow the throwing team to run if they want to. It's been a FIBA rule for many years in some kinda form, used with a stopped clock- I think.
    Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 11:11am
    Courageous When Prudent

It is a custom in Virginia for AAU parents to yell that refs are homers cheating for the other team; nevermind the fact that both teams are from out of town.
    Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 12:01pm
    Official Forum Member

well--

This thread is about LOCAL customs... that one about parents yelling at refs is pretty universal... in varying forms..