The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=BretMan;936113]

- Was working a game with our associations UIC earlier this year, a guy who has been around forever. He would give the foul tip signal on ALL "fouled straight back to the screen" foul balls!

I was assessed the other night by my association President and he said ASA requires a foul signal call on ALL four balls and he was saying not calling it is an NCAA mechanic. I recall at last year’s ASA National Clinic not to signal fouls that are straight forward. Thoughts?
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRedSox View Post
I was assessed the other night by my association President and he said ASA requires a foul signal call on ALL four balls and he was saying not calling it is an NCAA mechanic. I recall at last year’s ASA National Clinic not to signal fouls that are straight forward. Thoughts?
I agree that ASA wants us to signal all foul balls.

I never used to signal the obvious ones, like into the bleachers. Last year several guys that had been to national tournaments posted that they were instructed to signal all fouls. Even on the obvious ones, where no verbal call is needed, we are still supposed to raise our hands.

Personally, I don't recall having been told that by either my local association or at the national schools I've attended. Then again, my last NUS was four years ago. Maybe it's a new directive or emphasis?

The UIC I posed about was giving the foul tip signal (brushing hands together) on all uncaught balls that got nicked and went straight back to the screen. That's just a bad, bad rookie mistake, except it was coming from a guy who's been umpiring for forty years and is the head umpire of our association.

Last edited by BretMan; Tue Jun 17, 2014 at 08:21am.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 09:22am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Personally, I don't recall having been told that by either my local association or at the national schools I've attended. Then again, my last NUS was four years ago. Maybe it's a new directive or emphasis?
That's what JJ instructed us to do at last year's 18 GOLD National. All fouls are signaled.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
That's what JJ instructed us to do at last year's 18 GOLD National. All fouls are signaled.
Just to follow up on this thought, if all fouls are signaled, does every next pitch need a "beckoning motion" to the pitcher?

I've tried to make sure I do this with runners on base at a minimum. With no runners, if batter is in the BB and pitcher and catcher are ready, off we go.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Just to follow up on this thought, if all fouls are signaled, does every next pitch need a "beckoning motion" to the pitcher?

I've tried to make sure I do this with runners on base at a minimum. With no runners, if batter is in the BB and pitcher and catcher are ready, off we go.
Thew last National I attended, I was informed that "We WILL always put the ball back in play after a dead ball. Such as a foul or a stoppage.".
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
Thew last National I attended, I was informed that "We WILL always put the ball back in play after a dead ball. Such as a foul or a stoppage.".
But beckoning to the pitcher is incorrect, just say "play".
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
I guess that fits with my being instructed to signal non-catches; regardless of prior teaching.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
I've been lucky enough to work with good partners so much recently I haven't seen weird mechanics for a while. Last season, I worked with a partner that called "Ball Down! Ball Down!" on anything to the outfield that wasn't caught. Is that a baseball thing?
While most of us use it in baseball, it does come over to softball fairly often which is quite helpful while I am still coming in and if you don't give a verbal catch, I have no idea what's happening behind me.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
While most of us use it in baseball, it does come over to softball fairly often which is quite helpful while I am still coming in and if you don't give a verbal catch, I have no idea what's happening behind me.
My instructor told the class to say "On the ground, on the ground" to mean that the ball touched the ground. I carry this over to baseball.
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
My instructor told the class to say "On the ground, on the ground" to mean that the ball touched the ground. I carry this over to baseball.
I also use "on the ground" when working w/ a partner. If there are baserunners, however, BU has to be taking a peek at when first touch occurs for tag up purposes.

Too many times I'll see a base partner gandering at the outfield w/ no runners on and he has no clue if the BR touched first base.

I've asked at NUSs and Nationals regarding the fouls directly back to the fence. Got different answers. Some are of the opinion that "everybody knows it's a foul ball - save your energy" and others, as noted in this string want everything called and/or signaled.

That's why I ask the questions. One to know what to do in a particular tournament (when in Rome), and two, to try and figure out what the actual standard is.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 02:33pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
No biggie. If I don't hear my partner say "Catch", I'm assuming one wasn't made. I'm not listening for "on the ground" or "ball's down" or (Heaven forbid) "no catch".

And quite often, I will know myself whether or not one was made because I'll watch the ball and only glance at the runner as she reaches the base.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I always use a verbal "no catch" on a trapped ball with a safe signal.

Especially with runners on base, I think I should make a call as soon as I can so as not to put anyone in jeopardy.

I've had partners not say or do anything and runners are hung out to dry - not knowing whether to go back to their base or attempt to get to the next base.

So what's a better protocol/mechanic for a line drive that F4 traps on the backhand. A runner on first and the BU might not be able to tell.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I always use a verbal "no catch" on a trapped ball with a safe signal.

Especially with runners on base, I think I should make a call as soon as I can so as not to put anyone in jeopardy.

I've had partners not say or do anything and runners are hung out to dry - not knowing whether to go back to their base or attempt to get to the next base.

So what's a better protocol/mechanic for a line drive that F4 traps on the backhand. A runner on first and the BU might not be able to tell.
As was stated earlier, if you say "NO CATCH", players may only hear "CATCH" and wonder why you are changing your call later.

On a play like you describe, I will sometimes just say "NO" with a big safe signal.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
As was stated earlier, if you say "NO CATCH", players may only hear "CATCH" and wonder why you are changing your call later.

On a play like you describe, I will sometimes just say "NO" with a big safe signal.
I agree. And it should be very sharp/short so it cannot be confused with an "out" call.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No biggie. If I don't hear my partner say "Catch", I'm assuming one wasn't made. I'm not listening for "on the ground" or "ball's down" or (Heaven forbid) "no catch".

And quite often, I will know myself whether or not one was made because I'll watch the ball and only glance at the runner as she reaches the base.
The prior regime heading the ASA NUS recommended/urged/pushed "one word" and simple calls in any possible situation, to minimize any possible misunderstandings. Secondary advantage of being less likely to misstate what you saw. Of course, as you might expect, the newer regime disavowed the recommendation.

"Out", "safe", "swing", "YES!", "ball", "foul", and "NO!" are examples that are difficult to claim were heard differently. There are worse things than "catch"; "no catch" would be one such worse thing.