The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Weird or maddening "mechanics"

Taking Cecil's suggestion, from the last 2 weeks, I've had partners who:

1. Grabbed a mouthful of sunflower seeds from a bag in his pocket between every batter (he was BU)

2. Always did the "inform the new pitcher" deal (2 different partners, PU's obviously).

The first just looks bad, IMO. The second is annoying, especially since these were 18U teams!
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Every time there is a pitching change, I'm always watching my partner (BU or PU), & thinking to myself, "please don't, please don't"...

If I were an OC and had an umpire do this, I'm sure I'd have words with him.

Last edited by jmkupka; Mon Jun 16, 2014 at 11:31am.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

I've been lucky enough to work with good partners so much recently I haven't seen weird mechanics for a while. Last season, I worked with a partner that called "Ball Down! Ball Down!" on anything to the outfield that wasn't caught. Is that a baseball thing?

Regarding new pitchers, I don't give them the situation except for one exception: after an injury to the previous pitcher when someone comes off the bench to throw. Even then, I only give the outs and count if applicable from behind the plate after making eye contact. (The outs is partly to ensure my partner and I are on the same page after an injury timeout, and partly for the new player.)

I've never had anyone comment on that mechanic. Thoughts?
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Lately I've had a rash of "inform the new pitcher" partners. It's bad enough that they want to interject themselves to tell the pitcher the number of outs and how many runners are on base. A lot of guys need to point at each baserunner as they announce them to the pitcher. Just in case the pitcher doesn't know where first, second or third bases are, I guess?

This happened again yesterday. All I could think was, "This pitcher has at least four coaches in the dugout and her own set of eyeballs. Why does the umpire need to tell her the situation?".

I'm seeing a lot of strange stuff on the field this year:

- Last week I worked with a guy who verbally announced called strikes, but didn't use any sort of arm signal! He only made a hammer/arm signal on swinging strikes.

- Was partnered up with two different guys in the past week who didn't wear a chest protector or shin guards. One was in 12U, the other was in 18U. This is just a snapped collar bone or shattered knee cap waiting to happen.

- Was working a game with our associations UIC earlier this year, a guy who has been around forever. He would give the foul tip signal on ALL "fouled straight back to the screen" foul balls!

- My partner yesterday was wearing a blank, non-logo'd hat in our ASA sanctioned event. And it was a beanie!

- Then there was the guy who worked behind the plate with NO hat.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
I've been lucky enough to work with good partners so much recently I haven't seen weird mechanics for a while. Last season, I worked with a partner that called "Ball Down! Ball Down!" on anything to the outfield that wasn't caught. Is that a baseball thing?

Regarding new pitchers, I don't give them the situation except for one exception: after an injury to the previous pitcher when someone comes off the bench to throw. Even then, I only give the outs and count if applicable from behind the plate after making eye contact. (The outs is partly to ensure my partner and I are on the same page after an injury timeout, and partly for the new player.)

I've never had anyone comment on that mechanic. Thoughts?
Outs is not necessary, really. Count is appropriate though. You would give the count before a pitch anyway - no problem reminding pitcher and batter what the count is after a delay.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Outs is not necessary, really. Count is appropriate though. You would give the count before a pitch anyway - no problem reminding pitcher and batter what the count is after a delay.
Even the existing pitcher gets the count after a delay or after a running play (mostly for my partner), but not outs AND CERTAINLY NOT runners.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
who didn't wear a chest protector or shin guards.
I know an ump who I think shares them with the catcher.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Lately I've had a rash of "inform the new pitcher" partners. It's bad enough that they want to interject themselves to tell the pitcher the number of outs and how many runners are on base. A lot of guys need to point at each baserunner as they announce them to the pitcher. Just in case the pitcher doesn't know where first, second or third bases are, I guess?

This happened again yesterday. All I could think was, "This pitcher has at least four coaches in the dugout and her own set of eyeballs. Why does the umpire need to tell her the situation?".

I'm seeing a lot of strange stuff on the field this year:

- Last week I worked with a guy who verbally announced called strikes, but didn't use any sort of arm signal! He only made a hammer/arm signal on swinging strikes.

- Was partnered up with two different guys in the past week who didn't wear a chest protector or shin guards. One was in 12U, the other was in 18U. This is just a snapped collar bone or shattered knee cap waiting to happen.

- Was working a game with our associations UIC earlier this year, a guy who has been around forever. He would give the foul tip signal on ALL "fouled straight back to the screen" foul balls!

- My partner yesterday was wearing a blank, non-logo'd hat in our ASA sanctioned event. And it was a beanie!

- Then there was the guy who worked behind the plate with NO hat.
And you still have your sanity???
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Even the existing pitcher gets the count after a delay or after a running play (mostly for my partner),
Agreed. I do this as well, but not as consistently as I should after a steal/passed ball.
Quote:
but not outs
Duly noted.
Quote:
AND CERTAINLY NOT runners.
Agreed. They're standing on the bases; just look around before you pitch!

Is there ever a time we give the entire field the outs? Other than what I mentioned I do, I never give the outs, unless a smart player has learned to steal my two-out timing play/wiping off IFF sign to my partner.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 07:35pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Every time there is a pitching change, I'm always watching my partner (BU or PU), & thinking to myself, "please don't, please don't"...

If I were an OC and had an umpire do this, I'm sure I'd have words with him.

Speaking of OCs. Two weeks ago in an girls' ASA FP tournament, I was on the Plate and Mark, Jr., was on the Bases. in a 10U game.

Red Team (who is the Visiting team and is losing) makes a pitching change during the inning. The new F1 comes in and takes her five warm-up pitches while her HC stands next to her during her warm-up pitches. After F1 finishes warming up her HC continues to stand next to the Pitching Circle. I tell the HC we are ready to play and our conversation goes as follows:

Defensive (Red) HC: Aren't you going to tell her what the situation is?

Me: What?

Red HC: Aren't you going to tell her where the runners are and how many outs there are?

Me: No. You need to leave the field now Coach.

Red HC: But that is your job.

Me: No, that is your job. (She is now just outside her dugout gate.) I am not her coach, you are.

Offensive (White) HC (from the 3B Coaching Box): Yes it is your job.

Me (to White HC): That is enough because you are not part of this conversation.

Red HC: See! She even knows you are not doing your job.

Mark, Jr.: Time! Game over. Time limit has been reached.

There is nothing like a long conversation on a very hot afternoon when the time limit is close at hand.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Mon Jun 16, 2014 at 11:44pm. Reason: Corrected typos.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
And you still have your sanity???
That is debatable...

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Plenty more strangeness on the field this season! I could write a book...
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is there ever a time we give the entire field the outs? .
Yes, when there is confusion about how many outs.
Maybe, when more than one player asks at the same time.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 07:29am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Last season, I worked with a partner that called "Ball Down! Ball Down!" on anything to the outfield that wasn't caught. Is that a baseball thing?
Ummm, No.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Taking Cecil's suggestion
BTW, I was asking seriously about fine points, not the trivial items of some of the above.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BTW, I was asking seriously about fine points, not the trivial items of some of the above.
But, the trivial items are much for fun!