The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 12:41pm
This IS My Social Life

Peer Critique Requested - "Mechanics"

I'm looking to verify the validity of or improve upon this piece of advice customarily given to new officials regarding the importance of "mechanics", specifically court positioning/PCA awareness.

Please comment as inclined.

"The reason for mechanics, whether with the two- or three-person system, is so that you are:
...in the right place,
...at the right time,
...observing the right thing,
in order to
...make the right call (which might be a no-call)"

Your seasoned thoughts and critique is appreciated in advance.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 12:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

In Addition To Proper Positioning ...

Mechanics is also about communication. If an official is not using proper signals, then the players, coaches, scorers, timekeepers, and fans, will have no idea what has been called. If that's the case, then everybody's in for a very long day, and I'm willing to guarantee that there will be plenty of opportunities to serve some "tea", if you know what I mean, and I'm sure that you do.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Sep 08, 2012 at 01:01pm.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 01:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

In general that is an accurate statement.

But they are also used for communication without having to say a word. Good mechanics show that we know what we are doing and that we are confident in what we are doing, kind of like what Billy stated.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 01:43pm
This IS My Social Life

Yeah, but . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Mechanics is also about communication. If an official is not using proper signals, then the players, coaches, scorers, timekeepers, and fans, will have no idea what has been called. If that's the case, then everybody's in for a very long day, and I'm willing to guarantee that there will be plenty of opportunities to serve some "tea", if you know what I mean, and I'm sure that you do.
Thanx for your response re. communication via signalling. I am, however, restricting the topic to "mechanics" as in court positioning and PCA awareness.

Comments on that welcome as you have the opportunity.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 02:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Thanx for your response re. communication via signalling. I am, however, restricting the topic to "mechanics" as in court positioning and PCA awareness.

Comments on that welcome as you have the opportunity.
Well "mechanics" are signals too. They go hand in hand. Positioning and movement are just one type of mechanics. But signals are mechanics as well.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I'm looking to verify the validity of or improve upon this piece of advice customarily given to new officials regarding the importance of "mechanics", specifically court positioning/PCA awareness.

Please comment as inclined.

"The reason for mechanics, whether with the two- or three-person system, is so that you are:
...in the right place,
...at the right time,
...observing the right thing,
in order to
...make the right call (which might be a no-call)"

Your seasoned thoughts and critique is appreciated in advance.
Is something missing? I can't see anything here remotely controversial. All this seems to say to me is that we need to use designated mechanics to cover the game properly.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
Is something missing? I can't see anything here remotely controversial. All this seems to say to me is that we need to use designated mechanics to cover the game properly.
Sounds to me (especially when combined with the other thread) like he's writing something to be read or presented, and he's looking for our input.

Fred - if you're limiting this topic to positioning, then don't call the topic Mechanics - call it positioning ... your fellow officials are correct that "Mechanics" includes both positioning and signals/communication.

I would add that proper positioning is important to ensure that you and your partner are covering as much of the court as possible with as little overlap as possible.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

For me the last few months since camp season is this. I think we miss plays because we can not anticipate and see between players to know if illegal contact has happened. When I am watching my PCA I try to anticipate and move to a position to make a call. It helps me move it helps be get more calls right. If a more experienced official could state more it would be helpful to me.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 04:35pm
This IS My Social Life

Good Point, and Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Sounds to me (especially when combined with the other thread) like he's writing something to be read or presented, and he's looking for our input.

Fred - if you're limiting this topic to positioning, then don't call the topic Mechanics - call it positioning ... your fellow officials are correct that "Mechanics" includes both positioning and signals/communication.

I would add that proper positioning is important to ensure that you and your partner are covering as much of the court as possible with as little overlap as possible.
That is a very helpful suggestion. I see the issue you're solving for me. I'll refer to it as "positioning" rather than "mechanics" from now on. There is a
I like the concise way you expressed your last thought, too.
Thanx!