The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 20, 2014, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Where is the "Adjusting your cup" in the book ? If it is not there what do you do ? Watching a good MLB Crew, it looks so simple, doing an NCAA game you need to be in the game and not worry about a Foul Ball, get the F1 a ball, she is waiting for it. Work Smarter not Harder.
Old Sat Jun 21, 2014, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
It is completely unnecessary and amateurish. I can live with the out call on the bases when the out is obvious because the defense has executed a play, a runner is advancing to a base, you do have issues such as a pulled foot or bobble, etc. But to signal every foul ball that is up in the bleachers is an absolute joke.
It is not a joke if that is what the umpire is directed to do. Unless you are the UIC, you have no standing to direct the umpire to do otherwise regardless of personal feelings.

Quote:
Umpires use mechanics and signals to communicate to each other, the team members and others who are watching. When grandma sitting in the bleachers at Yankee stadium 350 feet from home plate can tell when Jeter slices one foul, how is it at all appropriate to raise your arms to signal a ripped foul ball straight back to the backstop? Sticking with WHY we have mechanics and signals, what justification is there for signaling here?
Now, comparing this to the MLB is a joke.

Quote:
Instead of raising your hands, why not reach to the ball bag and get the catcher another ball (assuming it went out of play).
Additionally, if you are going to use a signal, it ought to be done correctly. If you are going to half-ass it because even you have determined it isn't really important, then don't do it at all.
I agree 100%. And so did my instructors and UICs in ASA and ISF who understood the differences in the vocation. It was often mentioned by a few that the ASA shouldn't have an advanced school for umpires, but a school for advanced umpires. Problem there is how can you become an advanced umpire without learning and executing the basic? Today's staff is hooked on black and white and/or the DVDs as the bible even though some of it is wrong. I've run into some NUS guys who hadn't been on the field for years and would rather have the umpire follow the given mechanics with no allowance for exceptions regardless of whether it makes or breaks the umpire's ability to catch the play and that just isn't good.

It has been years since ASA changed their training count and hammer mechanic. In the schools and clinics I held, I continued to teach the old method of reaching high and then dropping to a hammer. The reason was you need to know the path before you can arrive at the destination. Of those from the areas which went directly to the hammer, I was seeing guys and gals throwing that right arm out and up and down, even using the thumb to call people out. Reason I got was simply because they were told what the hammer appeared to be, but was never shown how to get there.

Quote:
If I have 30 out of the park foul balls in a college game and I raise my hands every time, delaying the time it takes to get the ball to the catcher by 5 seconds, I've add 2 1/2 worthless minutes onto the game. I've likely also irritated the catcher who has her hand out waiting. That's poor game management.
Then maybe you shouldn't pose when doing so. I doesn't take that long and you speak as if every other person on the field was frozen in their place, including runners and just waiting on you. In fact, any runners, often including the batter, are not on the base need to return and reset. Same with any fielder which was leaning and/or walking on the swing.

I agree that an umpire doesn't need to throw up his/her arms and make a loud call on the obvious foul ball. However, more often than not, I've had to get the catcher's attention to give him/her a ball to put into play. And depending on the game, I wouldn't be two quick to consider a ball appearing to be out of play too quickly. At some of the higher level SP games, I've seen a batted ball soar over the stands at 3B only to come back and clear a 325' fence in fair territory.
Old Sun Jun 22, 2014, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Starting in "C", R1 on 2nd, ball hit to SS, looks at 1st, then spins and throws to 3rd. If you stepped toward 1st to make the call, you are then straight lined by the runner, maybe also blocked by the SS. Do you have a preferred/taught solution to seeing the play?
Old Sun Jun 22, 2014, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Starting in "C", R1 on 2nd, ball hit to SS, looks at 1st, then spins and throws to 3rd. If you stepped toward 1st to make the call, you are then straight lined by the runner, maybe also blocked by the SS. Do you have a preferred/taught solution to seeing the play?
yes - delay that first step & let fielder tell you where play is. And know that if the coach really wanted somebody on top of the call, they'd have 3 umpires.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 05:17am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
yes - delay that first step & let fielder tell you where play is. And know that if the coach really wanted somebody on top of the call, they'd have 3 umpires.
Agree.

You should also be a student of the game and realize that with R1 at second and a ball hit to F6, R1 has no business running to third (unless she's forced by an R2 at first), and if she does, then the likely play with less than two outs is going to be at third base. Don't overanticipate and expect the play to go to first.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
I get that, but I was talking about fielder motioning as if to 1st, after fielding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Agree.

You should also be a student of the game and realize that with R1 at second and a ball hit to F6, R1 has no business running to third (unless she's forced by an R2 at first), and if she does, then the likely play with less than two outs is going to be at third base. Don't overanticipate and expect the play to go to first.
Yes it has to be a force, forgot to say R2.

I was looking for a solution for after the SS motions to 1st, "then spins and throws to 3rd". Do you think continuing inward or trying to get back out to avoid the straight line?
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post

I was looking for a solution for after the SS motions to 1st, "then spins and throws to 3rd". Do you think continuing inward or trying to get back out to avoid the straight line?
Let the ball take you to the play. Don't move until the ball is on the way.

If F6 does throw to first, you are only going to get one or two steps, but you are already at a crappy angle and getting closer to the play doesn't really help.

By waiting, you allow yourself the opportunity to get a decent look and angle if R1 takes off for third and the throw goes there. Since third base is a lot closer to home than first base, it's a higher priority to make sure we can get a good look at any play there.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2014, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Let the ball take you to the play. Don't move until the ball is on the way.

If F6 does throw to first, you are only going to get one or two steps, but you are already at a crappy angle and getting closer to the play doesn't really help.

By waiting, you allow yourself the opportunity to get a decent look and angle if R1 takes off for third and the throw goes there. Since third base is a lot closer to home than first base, it's a higher priority to make sure we can get a good look at any play there.
Thank you.